need help fast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmurda

Reaction score
while i was cooling down my wort. the bottom tip of the floating themometer i had in the wort broke. the mercury part didnt break but the little balls inside that weigh it down came out. i strained the wort using a steeping bag, so none of it is in there wort now. was wondering if i should still go ahead with it or are there toxins that might hurt me, or might the beer get infected? any help would be great thx.

Do you know what they are made of? If they are lead, or some metal that will leak something into your beer. Infection I would doubt because they have been protected from bacteria.

When in doubt, let it go and try one.

the ones in mine just look like plastic-glued steel shot.
i'd just worry about the mercury, and double check that.

If you are certain the mercury apparatus did not break you should be fine. Make sure you get the glass out, it will settle to the bottom anyway. Are you sure it's a mercury thermometer? Nontheless, I wouldn't toss it, finish it then try one before sharing with others :)

most of the floating thermometers are not mercury but rather colored alcohol in the column. I would be very surprised if the little metal balls are lead but probably steel -- you could test them with a magnet...if they are attracted to a magnet then likely steel. If not, it could be lead...lead would be very soft (you should be able to deform them easily). Personally, I'd be just as worried about a stray shard of glass getting into the brew...that could be a real gut buster, and I'd be damn sure you've filtered out any and all debris.

It will be fine most likely it is red alcohol and steel balls. I agree though be Very sure you leave all the glass behind. Secondary and maybe even tertiary. Ive done it before too and after tons of research racked it a few times and kegged. I drank several and im alive. So infected beer is... What was i saying???

Back