Need Help Cooling Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redweasel

Reaction score
Having a real hard time getting my fermenter temps down. I have VERY limited space and fermentation temps are averaging about 75 F. Any ideas getting these temps down would be much appreciated. If I could figure out how to post a pic showing the space I have I would but I'm not having much luck.

Take a plastic tub, fill it with a couple inches of cool water, place your carboy in it, then drape a shirt over your carboy. The evaporative cooling of the water from the shirt will cool the carboy 8-10˚F.

If you don't have a tub, or the space, you can do what I do, which is wrap the carboy with a towel and spray the towel periodically with water from a spray-bottle. This requires a bit more maintenance, and cools less effectively than the T-shirt method (only 4-6˚F).

Ok figured it out here is a pic of my situation.
P_00050.JPG

Now take into consideration that there is usualy another carboy on there.

get a big flat pan, like the ones people use to stroe stuff under the bed put in an inch of water and some frozen ice bottles. the t shirt will be an added bonus.

i did exactly what donasay suggested, room for a secondary and fermenter, the ice bottle thing is a good idea, i was using cubes...

hard to tell exactly what temp the beer is now at but I do know that the air temp is consistantly at 73-77*F.

I'm taking a hydrom. reading tonight so i'll let you know. I've got cold water and a dark towl...have to make sure the light stays away.

it appears as though the towl and bucket method has dropped the temp of my beer from the room 75* down to about 65*F.

great suggestion kristofo.

Redweasel said:
Ok figured it out here is a pic of my situation.
P_00050.JPG

Now take into consideration that there is usualy another carboy on there.

COVER THAT CARBOY PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have mine sitting in a cooler filled with water and periodically add ice to adjust the temp. Right now the stick on thermo is reading 62F while ambient is 75F.

Back