Need help converting recipe from PM to AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a house can't lager lager I've made in the past using in my grain bill:
5# vienna
1#60L crystal
3.75# LME Cooper's Euro (formerly bavarian) hopped, 15 minute late addition

hops: 1 oz hallertauer @ 40 minutes.

yeast: cooper's lager

I've made this before and with the cooper's lager yeast it actually finishes pretty crisp fermented and aged at basement temps.

I'd like to convert this to a 5.5 gallon AG but not sure what to substitute for the cooper's euro hopped LME.

The actual style is a vienna lager. I am also willing to use notty for my yeast. I haven't really gotten into lager FGs with the cooper's.

So through research and trial and error I have found this method works best for me.

Take your DME lbs and divide by .67 and that will equal the amount of base grains to use. So your 3.75 lbs of DME will come to 5.6 lbs of base grain.

Some one correct me if im wrong please.

I'm pretty sure the number for LME is 0.75, so 5 lbs of base grains. Pilsner perhaps?

What are you going to do for hops? I have no idea what the hop contribution of hopped LME would be...

The PPG of LME is about the same as base grain at 100% efficiency. 3.75 pounds of LME gives you 139 gravity points. So, if your typical efficiency is 75% (which is a good guess) your base grain extraction would be like 25 PPG. 139/25 = 5.5 pounds of Pils malt.

I'd definitely use Pilsner malt though the extract might have Vienna or Munich in it too.

Try moving the 1oz Hallertau to 60 instead of 40min but it's really hard to tell how many IBUs are in the canned stuff. If your hallertau is 4.5% alpha, you probably want to bump it to 1.5 oz @ 60 or 2oz @40min to keep it at about 25 IBU.

Back