Need help converting All Grain recipe to Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
I found this 312 Urban Wheat clone recipe online. I need some help converting over to Extract. I’m thinking of using 5lb. Wheat DME, does this sound right? Also, most of my extract kits have specialty grains. Is it possible for me to use 2 row and/or Torrified Wheat for this? If so, how much? Thanks!

5.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 62.5 %
3.00 lb Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 37.5 %
0.50 oz Liberty [3.70%] (60 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.10%] (15 min) Hops 10.3 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.10%] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

just multiply the number of pounds of pale malt by 0.6 to get the pounds of DME.
5.00 lb Pale Malt times .6 = 3.0 lb
3.00 lb Wheat times .6 = 1.8 lb

You have 2 options, extract or mini-mash. If you want an extract recipe replace the pale and wheat with approximately 6 lbs of wheat extract.

Torrified wheat is unmalted and ideally needs to be converted which will require the help of a base malt. Including equal parts of 2-row will provide enough enzymes for conversion. How much is really going to depend on how big of a mash you want to tackle. A mash with 2 lbs of grain is pretty realistic with common cookware.

2-row and wheat need to be mashed, steeping will not get anything from these grains.

Wheat extract is roughly 65% wheat malt/35% pale malt.

I would replace the grains with:

3 lbs Wheat DME
2.35 lbs Light DME

OR:

3.75 lbs Wheat LME
3 lbs Light LME

If you only do a partial boil, you probably need to add another 0.25 ozs of Liberty hops.

Back