Need help choosing a plate chiller....length or # of plates?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liquid134

Reaction score
just like the title says..... whats better, a longer plate chiller with less plates (say a 12" plate chiller with 20 plates) or a plate chiller with 30 - 40 plates but only 7.5"???

You're looking for surface area:

so (assuming 2.9" high for both)

20 * 12 * 2.9 = 696 square inches
vs
30 * 7.5 * 2.9 = 652.5 square inches
and
40 * 7.5 * 2.9 = 870 square inches

The answers to such questions can be found here.

Longer is clearly better, all else equal. The 12" long DD B3-23A 30 Plate is pretty popular around here (I use one and am a fan) but now they have an 18" B3-36A 20 Plate model (50% longer but one third fewer plates) for $10 more that's even quicker, all other factors being equal...

Cheers!

How much wort are you chilling? Recirculating or one pass? What temp is your chill water?

The plate chiller on my E-BIAB rig for 5.25 gallon batches and recirculation while chilling is http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=HX1230BWGH I begin with hose water and switch over to ice water (via a submersible pump in an igloo cooler). I'm happy with that 30-plate Duda.

well i havent done my first batch yet, trying to get a nice solid foundation, equipment wise (and waiting on my kab4 to be modified) but i have a keggle, lookin to start off doin 5gal batches, eventually maybe 10gal. i already built an immersion chiller (3/8 50ft) now debating on getting a plate chiller to speed up the process even further.

thing is, i really dont want to jump and get a chugger pump yet, i do however have 2 of those beige Chinese pumps (im going to use one for recirculation and the other to transfer hot water to the mash tun so i dont have to do any lifting)

how well do the dudadeisel chillers do with just gravity?

Back