need help calculating estimated abv

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collycreekbrewer

Reaction score
Steeping grains
1lb pilsner malt
2lb flaked maize

Extract
3.3 lbs light lme
1 lb light dme

This is a cream ale

Pilsner needs to be mashed typically, if you're holding it at 150ish for 30min or so you'll get some conversion. You malt extract alone in a 5 gallon batch is about 1.032 OG estimated, about 3% ABV based on 75% attenuation.

I've never used flaked corn, but if I throw that into my calculator as if it was converted it'd bump you up to about 1.044 and about 4%abv.

I would purchase BeerSmith 2 if I were you, it's the best investment I've ever made for brewing. It will take a little time to learn how to really use the software, but you assemble recipes and it will calculate ABV%, IBU's, SRM, anything you could possibly want to know. It's very useful, and every recipe I make, beer kit or not, I'll first put all the ingredients into BeerSmith so I get exactly what I'm looking for.

You will have a much easier time exploring homebrewing if you use some brewing software or an online brewing calculator. I'm with Jarov, Beer Smith is a fantastic tool. But in fairness there are others, some simpler, some free, some phone apps etc.

Back