Need Help ASAP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILBMF

Reaction score
I brewed my red ale for the wife on Sunday in a ten gallon all grain batch, but by mistake I used 2 ounces Willamette in the boil rather than the required 4 ounces. I usually make this in 5 gallon batches and I need a quick fix.

Can I do a one gallon boil with extract and a measured amount of hops to add to the 2 carboys or what? I'd of course like a quick fix as I need to get on my big IPA ASAP too.

Here's what I used:

10 gallon net

White Labs WLP001

22.88 lbs American Pale 2 row
1 lb 120* crystal
.12 lbs chocolate malt

1 ounce Willamette 4.7% for 60 min (should have been 2 oz)
1 ounce Willamette 4.7% for 5 min (should have been 2 oz)

err, hop tea won't give you bitterness. I mistakenly thought hopshot was pre isomerized, what you actually want is isohop.

I have a bunch of extra Magnum in the freezer and also keep in mind...this red ale will be oaked in the secondary. I don't have a problem with picking up some Willamette, I just want to get this beer up and running.

Have you pitched yeast yet? If not, I'd reboil with your desired hops, you can go a little lighter on bittering since you picked up a few IBUs from the first boil. Just add enough water to compensate for the boil off.

As I stated, this went down on Sunday, so yes, I pitched the yeast and it's munching in high gear in both carboys as we discuss this.

OK, I have done a little research on this Isohop Extract. I'm leaning towards adding this post fermentation and adding the lost aroma/flavor ounce of Willamette as a dry hop addition. Can anyone please help to calculate how much Isohop extract I will need to add in order to make up for the lost IBU's from my missing ounce from the 10 gallon batch 60 minute addition??

To clarify my intentions, I will rack each carboy to a secondary, add 1/2 ounce of Willamette to each 5 gallon carboy along with my oak, but I need to know how much Isohop extract to add to each carboy to make up for the lost ounce from the beginning of the boil (ten gallon)

eh sorry, was reading a little too fast and missed the Sunday part.

No idea of how much hop extract you'll need, but it shouldn't be much. Deschutes gave us samples of Bud spiked with different hop extracts at last weeks hop class to show how effective they are. They work amazingly well, but there was a noticeable artificial taste. They allowed the homebrewers to take all the whole leaf and pellet hops (many pounds of hops), but the extracts were too expensive to hand out.

Freeze distill half of it to concentrate the couple of IBU's you got in the boil, then dry hop the hell out of it? Sour the other half? Hell, I don't know, I'd probably play with a few options that I've wanted to try just to see how they work. But, brew it again to keep the wife happy.

Can I do a one gallon boil with extract and a measured amount of hops to add to the 2 carboys or what? I'd of course like a quick fix as I need to get on my big IPA ASAP too.QUOTE]

Yes. You will need to adjust your hops by about 20% to get the required IBUs.

OG: 1.060

Anticipated IBU: 25.1 (which I'm sure ended up being half of that)

I just would like someone here to lay out a schedule or plan for me. I know it was my mistake, but I could use the help.

I used the iso hop extract once. I added it at kegging and it took quite some time to mellow out and jive with the beer.
It ended up being really good (black IPA) but if you looking for a quick turn around this may not be the best option

You need to figure out how many IBU the 60 min addition would have contributed (do you uaes beersmith or something similar) the equation is probably somewhere in how to brew. Then go to morebeer.com and find the isohop extract, on that page is the formula to determine how much to use based on how many additional IBU's you want.
I don't have my computer in front of me right now so i can't do all the math, sorry.

Ok I have the solution to your problem, I need more numbers than you provided so i will give you the formulas and you can do the math.
Step One: Calculate alpha acid units
AAU=(1ounce x 4.7%AA)=4.7AAU
Step Two: calculate IBU's missing from 60 min addition
IBU=(AAU x Utilization x 75) / pre boil volume
to find utilization see table #7 here
Step Three: calculate amount of iso-hop needed
((answer to step 2) x 0.322580645 x .0117)/ 30= isohop in liters
then divide this answer by .9 for a 90% utilization rate
(isohop in liters)/.9= final isohop in liters
now multiply this number by 1000 to get the number of milliliters
final isohop in liters x 1000= final isohop in milliliters
last step: you need to thoroughly mix the isohop extract 10 times its volume of distilled water so...
final isohop in milliliters x 10= amnt. distilled water to mix with final isohop in milliliters
add the isohop and distilled water mixture to either your bottling bucket or keg the rack the beer on top of it to get it thoroughly mixed. I found when I used it the beer needed a little extra conditioning time as the bitterness was somewhat harsh but it ended up mellowing really nicely. Good luck :mug:

here are the relevent pages to get the formulas incase i confused you more than i helped you
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-5.html
http://morebeer.com/view_product/7835//IsoHop_Bitterness_Extract_1_oz

Wait, won't that tiny amount of distilled water screw up the calculation, you might be missing .002 IBUS!!!! :p

Good job writing out all the formulae.

Wait, won't that tiny amount of distilled water screw up the calculation, you might be missing .002 IBUS!!!! :p

Good job writing out all the formulae.
Good question, LOL :tank: , I assume the calculation for the amount of isohop accounts for the need to add it to the distiller water.

As long as I get semi-close this beer will be fine. Five gallons will be oaked and the other 5 gallons will be oak and bourbon.

I'll get this corrected and it's off to the 10 gallon Sick-Citra-Simcoe batch!!

I love beer!

Back