NEED HELP/ADVICE! Forgot some grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imtrashed

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed a clone of Stone's Vertical Epic 08.08.08 last weekend (well, almost). I left the 1# of flaked oats in the fridge and didn't use them in the mash, so it was just the 2-row in the mash and sugar in the boil (plus hop additions). Fermentation took off overnight and I'm sure it's come down a lot, but it's not going to have any oats in it.
Just forget it and enjoy the beer as it turns out? Is it possible (or just silly) to steep the oats for a while, boil for a bit, and add that to the fermenter now? What effect might this addition this late in the game have?
What would you do?

Do you have enough head space to accomodate a mini mash? If I were you I'd let it go, and rebrew the recipie with the oats to see what the difference is. You may like it better without!!! Also, I don't believe oats have enough diastic power to self convert, so if you do decide to minimash, be sure to include a measure of base malt.

Regardless of what you do. be sure to keep accurate records, including your mistakes. It's be a shame to find an award winning process you can't recreate because you forgot how you did it!!!

Good point. I'd need the malt in there to get any enzymatic activity, right? Will just skip it and throw it in whatever next batch I make. Now at least I'll have an idea of what the next beer will be. Will at least have oats.

The oats mainly influence mouthfeel, making it feel thicker, creamier. It adds some flavor too, but I doubt you'd could detect that with all the wheat and hops.

Trying to "fix it" will change the balance on other parts, unless you're willing to do all the calculations.

I'd leave it as is and enjoy "your take" on it. As William said, "you may like it better without!"

Back