Need help adjusting for full boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrowland74

Reaction score
I plan to brew Northern Brewer's Megalodon Imperial Red Ale. I have made (2) different 5 gallon batches so far and did full boil on both. I recently learned about higher hop utilization and what that really means, and want to adjust the hops accordingly since there are so many hop additions in this recipe. I bought the mobile version of beersmith to do this myself, but can't seem to do it. Most of the grains and LME do not show up on the list! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The recipe:

0.5 lb Briess crystal 40
0.5 lb English medium crystal
0.25 lb English extra dark crystal
0.25 lb Special B

6 lb Gold LME (60 min)
6 lb Munich LME (15 min)
1.5 lb corn sugar (0 min)

2 Oz Centennial 10.3% (60 min)
1 Oz Centennial 10.3% (20 min)
1 Oz Cascade 6.4% (20 min)
1 Oz Centennial 10.3% (10 min)
1 Oz Cascade 6.4%(10 min)

safale us-05

The recipe calls for a 2.5 gallon boil. Do I need to make any adjustments for full boil?

I made my way to a computer and downloaded the desktop version of Beersmith. I still do not really know what it all means, but I found the add-ons which I didn't see on the mobile version. Still, I cannot find all of the exact ingredients. After many online searches, I think I found the closest substitutes and plugged them in. It did change the hop additions dramatically when I switched from partial to full boil. Here is what it came up with. I do not know if I did this right though, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 1 3.3 %
8.0 oz Crystal, Medium (Simpsons) (55.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.3 %
4.0 oz Crystal, Extra Dark (Simpsons) (160.0 SRM) Grain 3 1.7 %
4.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 4 1.7 %
6 lbs LME Golden Light (Briess) (4.0 SRM) Extract 5 40.0 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 6 10.0 %
0.97 oz Centennial [10.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 25.1 IBUs
0.48 oz Cascade [6.40 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 4.7 IBUs
0.48 oz Centennial [10.30 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 9 7.6 IBUs
6 lbs LME Sparkling Amber Liquid (Briess) [Boil for 15 min](10.5 SRM) Extract 10 40.0 %
0.48 oz Cascade [6.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 2.8 IBUs
0.48 oz Centennial [10.30 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 12 4.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 13 -

If you check the all-grain version of their recipe, it'll give you the hop schedule for a full boil. It looks the same as you listed. I don't think I'd change anything.

I looked at that after I saw it posted elsewhere, but it wasn't any different. So I should add all of the hops as the original recipe says?

I think so, that's what I'd do for what it's worth. I've had my eye on that recipe since it came out, I'd like to hear how it is when it's done.

If you check the all-grain version of their recipe, it'll give you the hop schedule for a full boil. It looks the same as you listed. I don't think I'd change anything.

I looked at that after I saw it posted elsewhere, but it wasn't any different. So I should add all of the hops as the original recipe says?

I wouldn't change a thing. It looks great.

Ok thanks for the replies. I'll keep it as is and hope for the best! Either way I'm sure I'll end up with beer :)

Just got done brewing and used all the hops from the original recipe. I was running late and ended up brewing into the kids' bedtime so in my haste, I forgot to add the sugar at flame out! I didn't realize it until I was at about 135 degrees. Hopefully this ends up ok. I still got the expected OG of 1.090 so I'm not too worried. Also the sample was pretty good. My SWMBO even liked it, and she always cringes at the wort sample.

You should be fine with your post-flameout addition.

As for your yeast...

Did you only use one pack of US05? An OG of 90 is pretty large for just one pack. I would have rehydrated at least two packs, probably three...

You should be fine with your post-flameout addition.

As for your yeast...

Did you only use one pack of US05? An OG of 90 is pretty large for just one pack. I would have rehydrated at least two packs, probably three...

Depends on how old they are obviously, but one pack wouldn't be the end of the world... though it is an under-pitch. According to Mr Malty, 1.5 packs of dry yeast is enough for that big of a beer.

As for the sugar addition, I would imagine it's fine to add it after flameout... a lot of people add sugar in only once fermentation has started anyway.

I added the one pack dry... Should I go buy some more and add it hydrated, or is it to late?

I added the one pack dry... Should I go buy some more and add it hydrated, or is it to late?

I would. It's only been a couple of hours, right? I would think you're ok to wait up to a day if necessary. Once the fermentation takes off though, the wort can become a bit hostile for new yeasties.

Actually, I'd probably buy a few and hold on to them. I've got at least 4-5 packs in my fridge now. 05 is a good yeast to keep handy...

It was last night so it's been about 16 hours. By the time I get to the store it will be a few hours more. The blow off is bubbling but not vigorous

I decided to just let it be and hope for the best. I'm assuming I'm in store for a long wait until it's done

Update:
The Megalodon is done, and despite the mistakes, it is pretty darn good! It's pretty hazy, but it tastes fine. This was the first time using irish moss. Not sure if that helped or hurt, but either way, I happy with the results

Back