Need Equipment design advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babski

Reaction score
I'm an extract brewer and have been collecting equipment for the last year or two to make the transition to all grain. Well I'm almost there but need your expert advice. I have 3 kegs with the tops cut out but no other modifications to them. I need some advice on penetrations before I start drilling holes. What should the BK and HLT look like? Where should the holes be drilled? Should I install a sight glass on 1 or both? I have a March pump with QD's so will be pumping between tanks. Pictures would sure be nice if you could. Thanks in advance folks!

Make your BK and HLT exactly the same. Sight glass on both. Drill the ball valve / sight glass hole as low as possible, but not on a curved part of the keg. If you have a false bottom, make sure it's above that (should be, but just make sure). I have an electric system; it would probably just confuse, so no pics. Gluck.

babski said:
I'm an extract brewer and have been collecting equipment for the last year or two to make the transition to all grain. Well I'm almost there but need your expert advice. I have 3 kegs with the tops cut out but no other modifications to them. I need some advice on penetrations before I start drilling holes. What should the BK and HLT look like? Where should the holes be drilled? Should I install a sight glass on 1 or both? I have a March pump with QD's so will be pumping between tanks. Pictures would sure be nice if you could. Thanks in advance folks!

How you drill your holes depends on how your set-up will sit. For example, I have a three tier stand (photo below) so I put my thermometer/sight glass and my valve 90 degrees apart because I will always be looking at them fro the side. If you are doing a single tier, you might want them closer together. I have 2 holes on each of my three vessels in the same places. I do not have a pump, but if I did, I would want a whirlpool port as well. A combo sight glass/thermometer saves you an extra hole.

The other advice on putting them as low a possible is good.

I only have a site glass on my HLT, but wouldn't mind having one on my kettle too (make sure it has a heat shield or it is a fountain of boiling wort).

image-3492345246.jpg

image-1563485777.jpg

Just something to keep in mind about the HLT and the BK. The only thing you really absolutely need on those is an outlet at the bottom. The sight glass, temperature port, and anything else can wait. So if you are feeling overwhelmed trying to plan out every single hole, maybe just start by planning for the exact placement of the bottom outlet, based on the fittings you plan to use, and then you can make any other modifications later.

I also agree that you should probably make the BK and HLT identical to start. I would argue that a sight glass or even a temp probe isn't really all that necessary in the BK, but that's just personal preference.

I also agree to make your outlets as low on the kettle as possible so as to leave as little dead space as possible. How low will depend on the fittings you are going to use.

My first HLT had a sight glass and temp but for round 2 i opted not to. Instead i welded a stainless rod on the inside w/ volume markings and use a much more accurate themapen. There's no right way, one of my concerns was making the gear more durable and removing as many dangly and protruding bits as i could.

Thanks for all of the great advice! I think I'm going to start with 1 ball valve in the bottom of each keg. I'll do a half dozen batches and try to figure out what's missing and ho from there. Drilling holes is a lot easier than trying to plug holes.

Back