Need dry hopping advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Home Brewski

Reaction score
Ok, well my first IPA is in the primary and Im really thinking about dry hopping in the secondary.

I just wanted some ideas on what kind and amount to use. I dont want to go overboard on my first batch but I do want the added bite.

Ingredients:

6.6# (2 cans) Amber Liquid Malt Extract (LME)

1.5# Amber Dry Malt Extract (DME)

1# Crushed Crystal Malt

1# Crushed Wheat Malt

2 oz. Chinook Hop Pellets (bittering)

1 oz. Cascade Hop Pellets (flavor)

1 oz. Cascade Hop Pellets (aroma)

1 oz. Willamette Hop Pellets (aroma)

1 Whrlfloc Tablet (Irish Moss)

11.5 gm. S-04 Dry Ale Yeast (Whitbread Strain)

Muslin Grain Bag

Thanks.

For dry hopping, I'd use an aroma hop, so either Cascade or Wilamette if you want to be consistent with the rest of your recipe. It won't add much bite, but it will add tons of extra aroma!

I'd probably try an ounce of each for a total of 2 oz. If you're using a bucket or keg, a bag helps keep the disintegrating pellets contained. If you're using a carboy, I'd probably just dump 'em in.

Don't be surprised if you get some blow off the first couple days after adding the hops (I'd use a tube rather than an airlock).

chthonik said:
I'd probably try an ounce of each for a total of 2 oz.

My recommendation, too. That ought to give you a very nice and complex aroma. It will not knock you over, but will certainly be there.

Add them a week before you intend to bottle or keg.

TL

I'd use a grain bag for either carboy or keg. I just did a Victory Hop Devil and used plug hops in the carboy w/o a grain bag. I ended sucking of a lot of hops which clogged my kegs.

Castle Meadow Brewery said:
I'd use a grain bag for either carboy or keg. I just did a Victory Hop Devil and used plug hops in the carboy w/o a grain bag. I ended sucking of a lot of hops which clogged my kegs.
I like my hops pellets loose. More saturation that way.

You needed this:

Hopstopper_1.jpg

Hopstopper_2.jpg

Hopstopper_3.jpg

haha thats awesome, what is that exactly over your siphon?

BTW thanks for the tips guys, looks like Ill do the 1oz of each.

Home Brewski said:
haha thats awesome, what is that exactly over your siphon?

BTW thanks for the tips guys, looks like Ill do the 1oz of each.
I use 1 gallon paint strainers from Lowe's (about $2.50 for a 2-pack).

Now I use small zip ties to fasten them on to the racking cane.

Works like a charm and the wort is clear as a bell.

BierMuncher said:
I use 1 gallon paint strainers from Lowe's (about $2.50 for a 2-pack).

Now I use small zip ties to fasten them on to the racking cane.

Works like a charm and the wort is clear as a bell.
that's the same thing I do. Throw the suckers in there for two weeks and then put a strainer bag on the racking cane.
I use the 5 gallon bags so that I just have it sticking out the top and don't have to ziptie it.

FSR402 said:
that's the same thing I do. Throw the suckers in there for two weeks and then put a strainer bag on the racking cane.
I use the 5 gallon bags so that I just have it sticking out the top and don't have to ziptie it.
Good idea... :D

Latest posts

Back