Need Brewery Name

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMrs

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I need help and I know after reading some of the posts that this is the BEST place for my research!

Husband is an avid home-brewer and since Christmas is coming, I want to get him some custom tap handles and a kit to convert his garage fridge...

I saw a kit in the Vendor section- https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/10-off-chrome-refrigerator-conversion-kit-277171/... Do i need the upgrades on the website- the faucet handle, faucet wrench, faucet plug and faucet brush?

Now... here's the main reason I'm posting. I need a brewery name to put on the custom handle. I'm totally tapped out for ideas. Was thinking of incorporating our dog into the handle (he LOOOOVES this dog!). Any ideas? The dog's name is Phil and Hubby is Clayton... Gonna put Phil's pic as my avatar.

I know nothing about brewing, but I know that's what he loves, so I'm trying to do something great as a gift!

Thanks in advance for your help! :mug:

Why not ask him if he has a brewery name or what he would call a brewery if he opened one? It's probably early enough before Christmas that he won't put the two together.

YOU GUYS ROCK! I knew I came to the right place!!! :D Keep em coming!

What about the conversion kit?

pic.jpg

BTW- SWMBO is AWESOME! Dont think Hubs will love it as much as I do! ;) I'm going for wife of the year here! :)

[...]What about the conversion kit?

You/he will need the faucet wrench, and if the tap will be out in the garage I'd definitely recommend the faucet plug to keep bugs at bay. You don't need the tap handle if you're going to find him a fancy one. As for the faucet brush, I've never used one on my faucets, so I don't know if that's worth getting.

You're going to need to pick up a CO2 tank, CO2 regulator, beer and gas lines, at least one serving vessel (eg: a Cornelius Keg or Sanke Keg), and beer and gas quick disconnects to match the fittings on the vessel...

Cheers!

Thanks for the help, Day! He already has a little plastic-y thingie (girly enough term for ya?!?! LOL) that he has connected to his Cornelius keg (Thanks for teaching me it's proper name- I always just called it a Pepsi keg!) that he serves his homebrew with. Do I still need all the other stuff?

He's gotten pretty big into it- made a good dozen or so beers in the past year and a half.

Nothing beats your last name. Something like Goldsmith's Brewery, McNulty's Brewery, etc

Thanks for the help, Day! He already has a little plastic-y thingie (girly enough term for ya?!?! LOL) that he has connected to his Cornelius keg (Thanks for teaching me it's proper name- I always just called it a Pepsi keg!) that he serves his homebrew with. Do I still need all the other stuff?

He's gotten pretty big into it- made a good dozen or so beers in the past year and a half.

Those "plastic-y thingies" are the "Quick Disconnects" - or QD for short - that connect the beer and gas lines to the keg.

If he has those and the keg he undoubtedly has the CO2 tank and regulator as well. I'll guess he's using what is called a "cobra tap" aka "picnic faucet" to serve his brews, and you're going to get him the kit needed to put a faucet on his beer fridge.

So, you'd be all set with just the bits of the kit you linked to, minus the faucet handle if you're going to find him a nicer one. The brush is probably cheap enough (didn't check) so you could go either way on that.

Very nice thing for you to do - he's gonna be one happy dude! :D

Cheers!

I say keep it simple and straight forward. If he doesn't share an idea directly about what he would name a brewery then Call it "Phil's Brew House" and put together your names around that. Maybe print out a pic of phil to put on the tap handle. He looks like a cute little guy ;)
Your awesome. What a thoughtful gift.

While I want to take no part in "Name that guys brewery" (Seriously ask him what he would call it.) I do want to offer up this site: http://www.inkpixi.com/category/Food+and+Drink/16/category.html?rn=Men&rp=14 I had received a hoodie/cap and t-shirt as a gift and I love them. You could have his brewery name printed on the pale ale or stout shirt (Pretty hard to not like 1 or the other) to add to the gift.

Good luck!

Hi guys,

I need help and I know after reading some of the posts that this is the BEST place for my research!

Husband is an avid home-brewer and since Christmas is coming, I want to get him some custom tap handles and a kit to convert his garage fridge...

I saw a kit in the Vendor section- https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/10-off-chrome-refrigerator-conversion-kit-277171/... Do i need the upgrades on the website- the faucet handle, faucet wrench, faucet plug and faucet brush?

Now... here's the main reason I'm posting. I need a brewery name to put on the custom handle. I'm totally tapped out for ideas. Was thinking of incorporating our dog into the handle (he LOOOOVES this dog!). Any ideas? The dog's name is Phil and Hubby is Clayton... Gonna put Phil's pic as my avatar.

I know nothing about brewing, but I know that's what he loves, so I'm trying to do something great as a gift!

Thanks in advance for your help! :mug:

I've had good luck with kegconnection in the past, and i did get my conversion kit from them back in May. I live in Haslet, and would certainly be willing to help you pick out the equipment you need and even help you install it. I like to help out fellow local homebrewers if i'm ever able. I've got all the tools you guys would need to get the kit installed. One thing i will say is that you should definitely get the perlick faucets (chrome is fine, no need for SS). They don't stick after days of non-use like the cheapos will.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like someone to help you guys out. I'm more than willing to help if i can! Also, have you considered a membership the the local Ft. Worth homebrew club, Cap and Hare? you can check out our forum as well for a little more local-flavored advice if you wish.

Seriously, SWMBO of the year right here! :ban::tank::rockin:

This is a picnic faucet.

Hi guys,

I was going to suggest the same thing as Zixxer. He has probably been eyeing a Perlick faucet. There are several places that have them, including the site, AHB, with the kit you listed. AHB is within a few bucks (after free shipping) of most places, but you live in TX, so you will get hit with ~8% sales tax.

He won't need any of the special tools or brushes to install or use it, so you can save some money there.

This place is one of the cheapest before shipping, but you would have to assemble the kit, as I don't think they have a bundle-
Faucet
http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=144
Then order the last 4 items on this page, and you have the same kit in all stainless steel (which we like). The last shank is also 1" longer than standard, and works better in hot TX garages-
http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=60

The last shank is also 1" longer than standard, and works better in hot TX garages-
http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=60

What, we don't all have glycol running through our fridges? Shucks! I've got 5 inch shanks that work pretty well but to ward off a foamy glass i just pull about a half-finger to let the cold beer from the keg cool down the shank and then pull the full pint. It worked all summer long, though i might look at an insulation alternative before next summer rolls around.

Gentlemen- you're WONDERFUL! I was SO lost! Thank you so much for the advice, the ideas and the pats on the back! I feel confident that i'll get the hubs exactly what he needs now!

I'll post a pic of the final set up after it's all done AND get him a membership to this site!

I really REALLY appreciate you guys! If you ever need some wife advice- I'd be happy to return the favor!:mug:

Not to rain on your little parade but. . . .
Why not just tell him a spending limit and let him have at it.
I would MUCH RATHER buy all the stuff I WANT not what my wife thinks I want due to random postings of people that know NOTHING about ME.

except for the tap handle with custom brewery name. That is totally kick ass. Perhaps that with a x amount prepaid gift card/cash/whatever.

Much better gift IMO. (again, random posting of someone not knowing what he wants)

i was going to suggest that you use "Phil" in replacement for the word "fill". someone already suggested it.

my suggested name is "Phil-A-Stein", which is a play on the word "Philistine", which means crude ...it's a good name for a man's mans, but not a good name for a religious man or an elitist.

Not to rain on your little parade but. . . .
Why not just tell him a spending limit and let him have at it.
I would MUCH RATHER buy all the stuff I WANT not what my wife thinks I want due to random postings of people that know NOTHING about ME.

except for the tap handle with custom brewery name. That is totally kick ass. Perhaps that with a x amount prepaid gift card/cash/whatever.

Much better gift IMO. (again, random posting of someone not knowing what he wants)

Not to piss on your "words of wisdom", but.....
Some people like to put some thought into the gifts they give, instead of a wad of cash.

These are not random internet postings, but more like expert opinions from people with the same specific interest as her husband.
She explained that he is using a garage in the fridge with a hand held tap, and on her own came up with a kegorator kit as a gift. We only confirmed it would be an excellent gift, and suggested an upgrade to the Perlick 525SS. This is the faucet of choice for virtually everyone. Are you one of the non-believers?

I can't think of a safer or more obvious choice of a gift for her husband. Who wouldn't want a Perlick and SS shank kit? Especially if currently using a plastic cobra tap, but even if you already have 3 of them.

It isn't like she is trying to pick out a chiller, mash tun screen, or fermenter; where there are lots of valid choices, and personal preference is a major factor. If anything, picking out the name and logo for his brewery is a much trickier proposition, yet that is the one thing your random internet post recommends (IYO), along with a gift card. A safer choice would be the faucet kit, and a gift card for the custom tap handles.

An interesting background you bring to the discussion:
09-09-2011 First Homebrew
I am starting my first brew tonight.:D
A good measure of what your opinion counts for.

I plan on bottling them all.
So you don't even keg, yet have some strong opinions on faucets. Interesting.

Kinda nice my buddy bought all the stuff for me for my b - day which is on oct 14. So It will be ready just in time!
Hopefully you were able to hide your disappointment that your buddy didn't just hand you his credit card so you could "have at it", and go pick out something you really wanted.

I love the play on Phil's name... Was just at a loss as to how.

Thanks for having my back, cwi. I personally think giving someone a gift card is a cop-out when you can't think of anything else. Husband's favorite hobby is home-brewing and I'm not going to even pretend to know what products are better than others. Consider this researching. I guarantee you that your wife would love something THOUGHTFUL. That's all I'm trying to do.

Oh, btw Zamial- thanks for the link! I ordered a custom cap from that site! The "Beer Removal Service" is perfect!

Back