Need an immersible probe for my thermoworks oven thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
I purchased a thermoworks oven thermometer for mashing. I know, the probe isn't meant to be immersed. I immersed it anyway. After an hour in the mash it told me the temp suddenly shot up from 154 to 178. Probe bad, trashed, pulled out the backup I had already bought.

I like the oven thermometer because it combines a timer and a remote probe that can be placed and monitor the temp constantly without removing the lid. Also includes an alarm when a temp setpoint is reached so I can put water on to heat, set the alarm for a few degrees below the dough in temp and go do other things. Is there a waterproof probe that can be purchased and used with the Thermoworks oven thermometer OR has anyone had success in waterproofing the probe? I'm thinking a foot or so of shrink wrap. Not sure how boiling will effect it, though. Thermoworks website has all kinds of probes but I believe they are for the more expensive temp devices.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I'm sorry I didn't save the first porbe, didn't know I could bake it and get it to resume working, although it makes sense.

i used a bunch of keg lube - packed it into the tubing and saturated the probe and wire with it

the right angle bend is damn near impossible to get around and get enough traction on to pull the rest of it up

I ruined a batch of beer on an overly complicated thermometer like you mean. Then I bought a cheap water proof Taylor that fits in my pocket and have had no troubles.

For a floating thermo, take a saucer sized piece of styrofoam and poke the thermo through. Float it in the MLT, Viola!

I had the same exact thing happen to me on my first AG brew, luckily the beer still came out good. Give Thermoworks a call and tell them what happened. They will send you a replacement probe so you can still use that for cooking. Then tell them you want something that can be immersed in liquid. They have a digital interface that can connect with a bunch of different probes. Get the wire one. I got the 10 foot wire probe, just leave it in while mashing and place the digital interface on a table right next to you. Then sit back, relax, have a brew or whatever else you want to do. Come back and check the mash temp without needing to take off the lid and no worries of breaking another thermometer.

I had a cheapo oven probe that I just coated the metal/wire connection with high temp silicone. My brewing buddy bought a fancy waterproof one that same weekend, we've been using both and mine is still spot on after 7 or 8 brewdays. Might be worth giving it a shot, $2 of silicone vs a new probe.

are you talking about this one? with the curved probe?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...17145&creative=399349&creativeASIN=B0019R4HQQ

i tried to waterproof it based on the above link and could not get the tubing over the bend enough - i may try to straighten out the probe to see if that will work

Yes that's exactly the one. I bought a length of silicon aquarium air hose and had no problem slipping it around the bend, with the proper lube. Couldn't fing the #70 o rings, so I got the #68 instead. I'm not sure it's tight enough to hold water. Couldn't get the inner o ring to slip under the tubing. Perhaps I'll drop it into my fermenter for a few days and see what happens.

MrTheKing: what brand of silicon selanant did you use? I'd like to see if I can use it to seal the end of the tubing on top of the O rings.

Shrink tubing with thermal glue will seal it 100% with no lube. The fish tank tubing seams like an over thought thing. just get a piece of the shrink wrap about 2" long hit it with a lighter or heat gun. And bang you are done. Water tight for life.

http://www.ttproducts.com/heatshrink-tubing.html

The tubing only cost $3.00 at petsmart for a 20 foot length. I used silicon because that was what Bobby M's link recommended. What kind of shrink wrap did you use? I'm concerned about using something like for underground electrical connections putting out strange flavors in a boil or in a ferment. Perhaps a small bit to seal the end to the probe. If you have used it and it made good beer I'm willing to try.

Bobby_M can you give me some tips on this one? Thanks!

I haven't added them to the site yet but basically a compression fitting for 1/4" tube OD with oversized orings in place of the metal ferrules. It works really well. My main intent for offering these is really for inline temp monitoring like from the output of a plate/CFC chiller or whatever else you might want to monitor.

Back