Need an idea of what to do with this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Transamguy77

Reaction score
A00F1B1A-CC9A-4F51-BE3B-A8BB92A85D06.jpeg

this is a torque tube from a 2008 Chevy corvette, this is what transfers the power from the back of the engine to the transmission in the rear, it’s about 5 feet tall and I thought it would make a cool conversation piece beings that unless you’ve worked on a corvette you wouldn’t know what it was.

I was thinking table when I brought it home but then I stood it up and realized it’s way to tall, then I was thinking lamp with like a hop cone as the shade but then I thought I’ll ask you guys the ideas of stuff I’ve seen on these pages over the years is mind blowing so let me know what you guys might do or not do with it.

For a minute there I was wondering if i was on the right forums...lol. Its a cool piece for sure. Not sure how you came to own it . I'm a handy fabrication guy and I like the lamp idea, a hall tree/coat rack if nothing else. . Not sure how you feel about the subject but you could "steam punk " it. Add some more mechanical parts. Ive seen timing chain and gears set up to be a functional clock .

For a minute there I was wondering if i was on the right forums...lol. Its a cool piece for sure. Not sure how you came to own it . I'm a handy fabrication guy and I like the lamp idea, a hall tree/coat rack if nothing else. . Not sure how you feel about the subject but you could "steam punk " it. Add some more mechanical parts. Ive seen timing chain and gears set up to be a functional clock .
I came to own it when one of our customers at work complained about a rattle noise at an idle, the bearings on the engine side go bad and cause the noise.
My kids said coat rack also, the “bell housing” on the “bottom” is pretty wide which is why I was thinking lamp. I do a fair amount of fabrication myself but that tube is aluminum and I’m not equipped to weld aluminum.

gramps just gave me an idea...get some copper tubing. pull the shaft out, wrap the tube around it and make a counter flow chiller???

@bracconiere that might work! I’m going to do
Some more looking around for a cool hop come lamp shade and maybe just do a lamp, I can just use some old lamp I find at a thrift store. And I’m the meantime I have a brewery to finish building!

I came to own it when one of our customers at work complained about a rattle noise at an idle, the bearings on the engine side go bad and cause the noise.
My kids said coat rack also, the “bell housing” on the “bottom” is pretty wide which is why I was thinking lamp. I do a fair amount of fabrication myself but that tube is aluminum and I’m not equipped to weld aluminum.
perfect reason to buy a tig welder and learn. i've welded for years and only recently learned to tig in about 20 minutes at an indoor car show at a miller welding vendors booth. After a brief ,over-the-shoulder-how-to, I tigged a couple aluminum plates together. 4 nice looking "dimes" and I have no idea why they call them dimes, theyre smooth like a nickel. Anyway , good luck with your torque tube and post (pm me) what you actually make out of it.

Back