Quantcast

Need an Extract Recipe For Vanilla Nut Brown Ale

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Franiblector

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2005
Messages
63
Reaction score
0
Location
Nashville, TN
Sorry for requesting an extract recipe, but hey, I'm comfy with it!
Anyone out there have a good extract recipe for a Nut Brown Ale with vanilla bean?
I recently bought a couple of vanilla beans, and I'm interested in seeing how it tastes with the Nut Brown Ale.
I LOVE Newcastle, as well as a lot of other English Ales, so I am sure to like just about any recipe you've got.
As for the vanilla bean: add to secondary, or include in the boil?

Thanks in advance!
Franner ;)
 

Dude

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jan 15, 2005
Messages
8,768
Reaction score
116
Location
Ramstein-Miesenbach
Franiblector said:
Sorry for requesting an extract recipe, but hey, I'm comfy with it!
Anyone out there have a good extract recipe for a Nut Brown Ale with vanilla bean?
I recently bought a couple of vanilla beans, and I'm interested in seeing how it tastes with the Nut Brown Ale.
I LOVE Newcastle, as well as a lot of other English Ales, so I am sure to like just about any recipe you've got.
As for the vanilla bean: add to secondary, or include in the boil?

Thanks in advance!
Franner ;)
Find a decent nut brown recipe somewhere and then make your own "version".
As for vanilla, here is what I did when I made my Vanilla Cream Stout. I took 2 vanilla beans, sliced them lengthwise down the middle and scraped the "goodness" out. Then I chopped the remainder of the beans into bits, and put the chopped bits and the "goodness" into a shot glass 3/4 fll of vodka. Cover that with saran wrap and let it sit for a day or two. Wa-freakin-la, now you've got home-made vanilla extract. Then, I added half of that extract concoction (make sure to get some of the bits) into primary, and when that was done, the remaining half into secondary. It came out pretty good. This one is still aging but it definitely has a vanilla smell, and a slight taste. Exactly what I was trying to acieve. I did not boil any vanilla bean, only used it in fermentation.
 

NUCC98

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2004
Messages
222
Reaction score
1
Location
Providence, RI
Franiblector said:
Sorry for requesting an extract recipe, but hey, I'm comfy with it!
Anyone out there have a good extract recipe for a Nut Brown Ale with vanilla bean?
I recently bought a couple of vanilla beans, and I'm interested in seeing how it tastes with the Nut Brown Ale.
I LOVE Newcastle, as well as a lot of other English Ales, so I am sure to like just about any recipe you've got.
As for the vanilla bean: add to secondary, or include in the boil?

Thanks in advance!
Franner ;)
Hey Fran, funny you should ask, because my Vanilla Almond Brown Ale (Bouncin' Betty Brown Ale) is just finishing up bottle conditioning. Here's what I used:

6 Lbs. Light Extract
.5 lbs. Dextrin (CaraFoam) Malt
.5 Lbs. Carastan (Crystal) Malt
.3 Lbs. Victory Malt
.08 lbs. Black Patent Malt
.08 lbs. Chocolate Malt
1 oz. Willamette (5%)
1 oz. Chinook
1 oz. Nugget (12%)
1 pkg. Dry Ale #04 (Safale)
1 whole Vanilla Bean
4 oz. Almond Extract

1. Steep grains for 45 minutes
2. Add DME Nugget and Chinook Hops and bring to boil
3. Add Willamette Hops after 30 minutes for last half of boil
4. Chop up vanilla bean and add that and 4 oz. almond extract to secondary for about a week or so...

The almond flavor isn't too present really, so I think I may ditch it for the next time this gets made, but 1 vanilla bean really brought out some great vanilla flavor in the beer. I thought I made a mistake by just dicing it up and chucking it all in, but it still worked great! Enjoy!!!
 

Dude

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jan 15, 2005
Messages
8,768
Reaction score
116
Location
Ramstein-Miesenbach
Franiblector said:
Thanks guys!
Frani...

If you were planning on doing that vanila extract method I described--you might want to think twice. I tried one of my Vanilla Stouts last night and it tasted and smelled like jet fuel. I'm willing to give this beer some more aging time but it was putrid last night. I'm guessing its going to be putrid in another month as well.

I think it was the vodka...not sure though....I got that idea from another forum and I don't think I'll be doing it again. ;) So, just a heads up for ya!!
 
OP
F

Franiblector

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2005
Messages
63
Reaction score
0
Location
Nashville, TN
orrelse said:
Frani...

If you were planning on doing that vanila extract method I described--you might want to think twice. I tried one of my Vanilla Stouts last night and it tasted and smelled like jet fuel. I'm willing to give this beer some more aging time but it was putrid last night. I'm guessing its going to be putrid in another month as well.

I think it was the vodka...not sure though....I got that idea from another forum and I don't think I'll be doing it again. ;) So, just a heads up for ya!!
How'd it turn out? Still jet-fuel-y?

And NUCC98, do I need to sterilize the vanilla bean at all? I just did a lemon corriander weiss and it required me to microwave the lemon zest for 30 seconds before putting it in the secondary. Do you think I should do the same to the bean or no?
 

NUCC98

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2004
Messages
222
Reaction score
1
Location
Providence, RI
Franiblector said:
How'd it turn out? Still jet-fuel-y?

And NUCC98, do I need to sterilize the vanilla bean at all? I just did a lemon corriander weiss and it required me to microwave the lemon zest for 30 seconds before putting it in the secondary. Do you think I should do the same to the bean or no?
I didn't sterilize the bean, just sliced, diced, and dropped it in. Of course, I put it in the secondary, where I think there's probably less chance of infection too. I also bought it from a Whole Foods shop...it was an organically grown deal in a nice glass jar, so I figure I was safe. Funny thing about this recipe. I don't think I'm going to subtract the almond extract next time. A couple weeks after bottling, I tried it, and it had a really weird taste and feel to it. Too much of all the ingredients. That was, I think, March 3 that it was bottled. It wasn't bad enough to get me not to drink it, but the few I had last night sat overnight in the fridge and WOW......good stuff. The vanilla and almond flavors are more of a slight hint now, the hops really came to the front of the taste, and there's better head retention on these. I don't quite get it. I thought I killed the head by using the almond extract, but I guess not. Funny how the last few bottles are always the best...I tell myself with every batch "Guy, just wait for it..." But....well, you know how that goes!!! :D
 
OP
F

Franiblector

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2005
Messages
63
Reaction score
0
Location
Nashville, TN
Thanks for the response NUCC98. I think I may chance it as well. I bought mine at Trader Joes in DC - need to check the bottle, but I'm hoping it's organically grown.
Man I can't wait! It's so hard to decide what batch to do next!

I have a Belgian Blonde Ale kit that I must brew first, but after that, it's Vanilla Nut Brown time.

Thanks for your help!
Frannie :D
 

scottlo

Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
near Boston, MA
NUCC98 said:
Hey Fran, funny you should ask, because my Vanilla Almond Brown Ale (Bouncin' Betty Brown Ale) is just finishing up bottle conditioning. Here's what I used:

6 Lbs. Light Extract
.5 lbs. Dextrin (CaraFoam) Malt
.5 Lbs. Carastan (Crystal) Malt
.3 Lbs. Victory Malt
.08 lbs. Black Patent Malt
.08 lbs. Chocolate Malt
1 oz. Willamette (5%)
1 oz. Chinook
1 oz. Nugget (12%)
1 pkg. Dry Ale #04 (Safale)
1 whole Vanilla Bean
4 oz. Almond Extract

1. Steep grains for 45 minutes
2. Add DME Nugget and Chinook Hops and bring to boil
3. Add Willamette Hops after 30 minutes for last half of boil
4. Chop up vanilla bean and add that and 4 oz. almond extract to secondary for about a week or so...

The almond flavor isn't too present really, so I think I may ditch it for the next time this gets made, but 1 vanilla bean really brought out some great vanilla flavor in the beer. I thought I made a mistake by just dicing it up and chucking it all in, but it still worked great! Enjoy!!!

This recipe sounds really good. Given that I don't have a secondary fermenter (mostly a space issue), and that I don't have vanilla beans, when would I add vanilla bean paste to this recipe.

Thanks

ScottLo
 

NUCC98

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2004
Messages
222
Reaction score
1
Location
Providence, RI
scottlo said:
This recipe sounds really good. Given that I don't have a secondary fermenter (mostly a space issue), and that I don't have vanilla beans, when would I add vanilla bean paste to this recipe.

Thanks

ScottLo

Hmmmm........no secondary.....I'm thinkin' MAYBE once the primary ferment stops....like after the air lock stops jumpin'. Do you have a bottling bucket? If so, and you're worried about space issues, siphon from your primary to your bottling bucket. Clean out your primary, and then siphon back. You won't get the exact same results as using a glass secondary, but something's better than nothing.....and believe me, I know all about those space issues!

So to answer your question, if you use the methos I described above, after you siphon back into your primary, dump the vanilla bean in.....
 

scottlo

Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
near Boston, MA
NUCC98 said:
Hmmmm........no secondary.....I'm thinkin' MAYBE once the primary ferment stops....like after the air lock stops jumpin'. Do you have a bottling bucket? If so, and you're worried about space issues, siphon from your primary to your bottling bucket. Clean out your primary, and then siphon back. You won't get the exact same results as using a glass secondary, but something's better than nothing.....and believe me, I know all about those space issues!

So to answer your question, if you use the methos I described above, after you siphon back into your primary, dump the vanilla bean in.....

:cool: I have an older primary fermenting bucket that hasn't been used in a while. It sounds like if a clean that out well I should be able to use that as a secondary and proceed with your suggestions.

Thanks NUCC98. I'll keep you posted on the results.

- ScottLo
 

zinger084

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2009
Messages
126
Reaction score
1
Location
Ohio
Hey Fran, funny you should ask, because my Vanilla Almond Brown Ale (Bouncin' Betty Brown Ale) is just finishing up bottle conditioning. Here's what I used:

6 Lbs. Light Extract
.5 lbs. Dextrin (CaraFoam) Malt
.5 Lbs. Carastan (Crystal) Malt
.3 Lbs. Victory Malt
.08 lbs. Black Patent Malt
.08 lbs. Chocolate Malt
1 oz. Willamette (5%)
1 oz. Chinook
1 oz. Nugget (12%)
1 pkg. Dry Ale #04 (Safale)
1 whole Vanilla Bean
4 oz. Almond Extract

1. Steep grains for 45 minutes
2. Add DME Nugget and Chinook Hops and bring to boil
3. Add Willamette Hops after 30 minutes for last half of boil
4. Chop up vanilla bean and add that and 4 oz. almond extract to secondary for about a week or so...

The almond flavor isn't too present really, so I think I may ditch it for the next time this gets made, but 1 vanilla bean really brought out some great vanilla flavor in the beer. I thought I made a mistake by just dicing it up and chucking it all in, but it still worked great! Enjoy!!!
I just pitched the yeast on this bad boy last night. Looked like an OG around 56-60 (two separate fermenters). I am really looking forward to moving this into the secondary with the vanilla beans...
 

Latest posts

Top