Need an APA Bittering Hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

jtupper

Reaction score
So first of all let me say APAs arent my thing. But a buddy wants to come brew this weekend which means ----> :tank: Anywho APAs are his style but since he's been out of brewing for a while, he wants me to come up with a recipe. I have some 2 row on hand which i need to use up so that will make up my base. (8#)

I figure I'll ad in like a # of Cry 20 since I can pick it up locally. For the flavor/aroma as well as dry hopping I will be using all together 2oz of Cascades. We will also be using Wyeast 1056

My question is this...What do I use for the Bittering? I was thinking Perle, Columbus, or Amirillo (I want to keep the brew All-American)

The problem is I'm new to recipe creations. Ive done Porters, Milds, and a German Lager, But I'm new to the Pale Ale areas.

Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance
:mug:

lumpher

Reaction score
There are several good hops for bittering apa's. I like northern brewer (although it's german with an american strain out there), but it's a good clean hop. Columbus is more for ipa's, imo.

Rothman

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of Columbus for beers that I want to be hop forward and lighter. It's a great bittering hop. I think it goes well with amarillo especially if you can use some columbus in 30 minute or less additions.

If your not a fan of most APAs out there you might stay away or just use a bit of the crystal malt. I'm not a big fan of the crystal malts and think it can cloud a hop forward beer.

RichBenn

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of Columbus for beers that I want to be hop forward and lighter. It's a great bittering hop. I think it goes well with amarillo especially if you can use some columbus in 30 minute or less additions.

If your not a fan of most APAs out there you might stay away or just use a bit of the crystal malt. I'm not a big fan of the crystal malts and think it can cloud a hop forward beer.
Cloud? You mean, like clarity? Never in my experience, unless some process is off.

In terms of flavor, crystal is a mainstay of P.A.'s, IMHO. Both Mirror Pond Pale and Sierra Nevada Pale, which are both benchmark Pale Ales, use about 12 oz to 1 lb of 40-60 crystal per 5 gallons, so nothing wrong with that.

Someone else mentioned Perle for bittering; yes, by all means. Cascade is great for a Pale Ale, both flavoring and aroma.

By all means use US-05 or the liquid versions. Ferment at 65 degrees, no higher to stay clean. Mash at about 152 or 154 if you like malty. Shoot for about 5% alcohol and bitterness 30-35.

There are some other recipies that use a bit of Munich and/or Vienna to get color in place of some of the crystal. Different flavor, but good. If you like FAT Tire, try roasting a small amount of your pale and sub that instead of some of the crystal. But in any case, keep the darker(60 or less) malts a lb or less.

That's pretty much it, except your water profile shouldn't favor really dark beers, or the mash won't give optimum results.

Rich

Rothman

Reaction score
I meant cloud as in get in the way of a clean hop profile not in terms of clarity. Sorry if this was ambiguous. I agree that it is a mainstay of commercial APAs but I personally prefer the style to be a showcase of hop flavor and aroma without intense bitterness.

I would maybe head towards some munich malt for some malty character without being sweet.

I am making recommendations based on my preference so take it for what its worth, not much.

dcp27

Reaction score
I prefer Columbus and personally I'd FWH it instead of the normal 60 add.