Need advise on first brewery build please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bezalel

Reaction score
Hi guys (and probably girls), I'm attempting my first brewery build and I'm hoping to make it something special... I have a few interesting additions planned which would probably seem like way to much effort for the possible returns, but I'm hoping they will help to make my first build a very memorable and unique one.

Funny additions aside, I am from South Africa and I have been trying to find answers to certain questions, but the difference in measurement systems tends to screw up my all ready limited Googling skills. So please forgive me if these seem like somewhat stupid questions or if they have all ready been answered (In which case a point in the right direction would be much appreciated).

I have attached the first preliminary diagram of the setup I am looking at. It is a 300L HERMS electrical system with 6 elements total and I intend on using the HLT for both heating and cooling and I am still considering doing additional cooling on the way to the fermenter, but that bit is still just a rough concept.

My main concerns are plumbing and heating related. I am pondering leaving the hard plumbing for a later stage and getting the system working with a couple of hoses and quick disconnects, but on the other hand I reckon if I'm going to the trouble, might as well do it right from the start. So if I stick to hard plumbing...

Could somebody please have a look at my layout and possibly suggest any alterations to optimise for saving on material (piping and solenoids). I don't mind being involved in the brewing process, but would like to get the features that help with consistency right, whilst keeping cost down where I can.

And also, what size pumps and piping or hose would be optimal for a 300 L recirculating system like this?

And then lastly, I am intending on brewing double batches into 600L fermenters and I am using a Stainless Steel oil jacket pot as my brew kettle. The idea here is to conserve energy with the heat retention of the oil jackets for double batch brewing and negating that effect on the boiled wort by removing it through a HopBack and pushing it through an ice bath in the HLT whilst using the first Pump to create a counter flow whirlpool in the HLT. But my concern is in terms of the heating elements required to effectively heat the volumes that I am looking at and if it would be possible to find higher Volts / Low Amp elements to help conserve energy. We get extremely hot temparatures where I live and I will be using a network of piping on the roof of the brewery to preheat the mash water, making the job of the elements just that little bit easier. But this being my first brewery build, I am not sure how to anticipate the time it would take for what type of element to heat the water and oil for the brew kettle quickly enough.

bezalel-herms-prelim.jpg

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
Martiens

Where do you get a toilet plunger that big... Christmas is coming and I could really use one ;-)

i really don't know what you are talking about, but you went to great lengths to think, draw, post and you did a great job....what program did you use for the drawing?

hehe... I think I might have posted this thread under the wrong topic. Hopefully one of the admins will stumble on it and move it.

To answer your question though, I did this layout in Photoshop.

Back