Need Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayWyatt

Reaction score
I am looking for a strain oh hops that has a high dimethylvinyl carbinol content. I'm working on an organic sleep aid for my family.

I just ordered a crown of Newport because it had such high bitters and seemed to have a good storage life. I have googled a lot and cannot find an answer. Maybe they just don't test for dimethylvinyl carbinol? I could jsut make a very strong extract if they are all the same in dimethylvinyl carbinol content.

I found this but it doesn't help with the carbinol question.

LINK

ETA- I cannot use alcohol as this sleep aid is intended for a seven year old.

Thanks!

Stan Hieronymous (sp?) gave an awesome presentation at the seminars hosted by Siciliano's Market last May. He had a TON of information on hop compounds. You may wish to send him an email and see if will respond. He is an extremely intelligent man and I'm betting he has collected this information from some source.

I'd like to say I'll check out his book when I get home, but I'll be honest, I will probably completely forget.

for the purpose you are using it for it doesn't matter that much. any hops made into a strong tea will be an excellent sleep aid at low doses. However it can easily be overdone and lead to nightmares and sluggishness.

Thanks guys!

I'll send him a message ASAP.

Well, it very well may matter. The sleep issues we are experiencing are because of autism. His brain works differently than a regular person. :-(

I am talking to his dr and were trying to figure this out. I do not want my baby boy (7) on a synthetic sleep aid. We have cut all the known badies out of his diet but, so far, no help with his falling asleep. :-(

We are pretty sure it is not a melatonin issue as well.

Some people have made hop pillows to help them relax and sleep better. I'm not exactly sure how it works or how effective it is. I've been meaning to try it with my leftover Cascades, but haven't gotten around to it.

Thanks guys!

I'll send him a message ASAP.

Well, it very well may matter. The sleep issues we are experiencing are because of autism. His brain works differently than a regular person. :-(

I am talking to his dr and were trying to figure this out. I do not want my baby boy (7) on a synthetic sleep aid. We have cut all the known badies out of his diet but, so far, no help with his falling asleep. :-(

We are pretty sure it is not a melatonin issue as well.

That's rough. sorry to hear.

I am far from an expert I just know that every hop tea that I have tried or friends have tried seems to work extremely well. No idea how that differs for someone with autism.

Were very fortunate, its pretty much the only real issue we have with his condition.

I want to make a hops pillow as well. That would hopefully help with his fathers kicking the crap out of me at night, LOL.

I'm going to try a regular recipe first, just in case a low dose is all he needs. Sure would be nice if it worked. If not we plan to try and use Valerian mixed with hops and some other herbs. His Dr. is pretty fantastic and tries to help us do things naturally.

Latest posts

Back