Need advice with sediment in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgenius

Reaction score
I recently brewed a 1/2 batch of ipa. (12oz crystal 40L, 4oz carafoam, 2oz hops total, and dme.)

When it was all said and done and in the carboy, and even before I added the hops to the boil, there was a ton of sediment floating around (moreso than any of my past batches) that has somewhat settled to the bottom and fills quite a bit of the carboy.

I did a grain steep of the crystal/carafoam before starting the boil if thats of any help to you.

I have never used carafoam before, is it common to have a lot of sediment from using this grain?

I'm very confused and need help, thanks.

:mug: Cheers!

It sounds ok to me! I don't notice more sediment with certain grains, but you may have had a nice "hot break", when it gets to a rolling boil and a bunch of proteins congeal and make stuff that looks like egg drop soup. Then, you chill the wort for a "cold break" and get more of the same looking stuff. The good news is that is the way to make clear beer and it's a sign of a good technique. I've even read that cold break can be nutritive for the yeast.

So, it looks like a lot right now. But it'll compact down with the spent yeast with a little time, and you'll have a nice layer of trub, with a nice clear beer over the top of it. It sounds like you did exactly what you were supposed to do.

When you go to rack to 2ndary, just try to keep from transfering that by keeping the racking tube off the sediment. Should make for some great "Clear" beer when you pour from the bottle or tap off the keg.
Nice going!

It is rather nasty looking stuff I must admit though.
Cheers

Back