Need advice please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinky

Reaction score
Hi this is my first brew and iv brought the brew buddy bitter kit. In the instructions it says to boil water and put it into my fermentation bucket then add the wort to that and mix! Is that a good way to do it or is there a better way to get the most out of the kit?

It says to pour the boiling water into the bucket and add the wort the fill the rest with cold water! Is it best to add the sugar to the boiling water first then the wort??

That does sound right. More typical process is to boil all your ingredients in the pot, cool wort with ice bath or chiller, pour cooled wort into fermentor, then top off with cold water.

I like to mix it in the BK,then chill down to pitch temp in an ice bath. Then strain into the fermenter with a fine mesh strainer. This not only gets out some of the grainy stuff,but aerates it at the same time. Dito with top off water. Then stir like mad for 5 minutes to mix it well. Take hydrometer sample & pitch the yeast.

I like unionrdr's advice.

1. You pasteurize the extract with the boiling water.

2. You avoid melting or deforming the fermentation vessel, especially if you use a Better Bottle carboy.

3. If you can cool this wort down before it goes into the fermentation vessel, your top off water should bring it close to yeast pitching temperature pretty quickly.

Plus,the quick chill down to pitch temp cuts the amount of chill haze you'll get when the bottles go into the fridge,& it'll settle out a bit quicker. I just never liked trusting the boiled wort not to melt or warp the FV. Or the top off water to get it down to the pitch temp I want.
So the ice bath & cool water is the best way,lacking wort chillers & the like.

Latest posts

Back