Need advice on warming lager beer for diacetyl rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcdmorris

Reaction score
Greetings all.

I am attempting my first lager beer. I ready to do a the diacetyl rest, but I am unsure how to proceed for warming. Target is 64* for 3 days.

QUESTION

My question is how best to warm the beer?

Options:

A) Allow the ambient air in the keezer to warm until the beer warms to target (indirect & slower)

B) Use an electric fermentation heater that wraps around the carboy to ramp to target temp in one step (direct and faster)

C) Use electric fermentation heater around carboy, ramped in step increments (direct and in-between speed)

I am tending toward Option B, but don't know if too fast a ramp might harm the yeast and / or produce off flavors.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

CONTEXT

I've been fermenting at 54* in a keezer for 14 days (measured via probe in a SS thermowell in the carboy).

I wasn't able to chill all the way down to 54* prior to pitching. Got it to ~65, pitched a 3L Wyeast Oktoberfest 2633 starter, and took it the rest of the way down to 54* over a few days in the keezer. Assuming there is some diacetyl as part of primary fermentation took place above target temps.

Fermentation was vigorous with some sulfur smells. Airlock activity has ceased.
BIAB batch. OG was 1.053.
I have not taken any gravity readings since OG.

Can't you just take I out of the keezer and put it on the floor?

Back