Need advice on Keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipgate

Reaction score
I am going to use my 7 cf chest freezer as a refrigerator for my beer kegs. I don't want to call it a keezer since I am only interested in keeping the kegs cold and not dispensing any beer from a collar on the keezer. My plan is to put this in a closet next to my bar and run the beer lines from the keezer to the bar taps. If it is easy enough, I will also put the CO2 outside the chest freezer.

So I am interested if anyone has done this and could post pics or plans. I have an idea of what to do, basically just drill a hole in the side for the lines to come out, but it is always nice to validate the plans with something that has been done.

There is around 4-5 feet from the edge of the freezer to the tap. I'd like to keep that cold, but I really don't see too many ways to get that accomplished.

If you search the "show us your kegerator" thread you should see some ideas.

You probably don't want to drill through the side of the freezer, there's a strong risk of hitting a coolant line. That's why most people use collars. You could also drill through the lid, that should just be insulation.

The proper way to keep the lines cold is to run a glycol/coolant loop with the lines and insulate everything, but I've seen a few builds on here where they have the lines going through some rigid PVC piping and put a blower fan at one end to keep the cold air moving through. Make sure you insulate the piping.

Not sure which freezer you have, but chances are you can fit 1-2 kegs on the hump if you extend the height with a collar. Something to think about...

Hi

I suspect the freezer is a 7.x cubic foot freezer. If it's a 7.1, you may have a hard time with commercial kegs.

Five feet is a long run of beer line if it's out in the open. You will need something pretty fancy to chill them down or you will need to pour extra each time to cool them with your beer. Proper glycol systems are in the "don't ask" price range. Forced air works over short distances, but you may be past "short".

Bob

Latest posts

Back