Need advice on how to handle a leaky Co2 tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilwaukeeBrewGuy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I sprayed some of my gas line connections with a bottle of star-san mixture. There is a slight leakage by the check valve in the beer line, but more importantly there was some active bubbling where the valve connects to the tank itself. Not at the regulator but at the neck of the CO2 tank.

I am attempting to keg via the set and forget method. Keg has been at about 16 psi for 1.5 days.

Should I shut off the gas on the tank to preserve that gas or does it need to be hooked up. If it needs to stay hooked up, why? If the keg itself does not leak, why does the gas need to have a constant flow?

Is it due to the absorption of CO2 into the liquid?

The regulator has not really dropped at all. It is a single gauge.

For carbing the beer the pressure has to be up. Other than times when you need to serve the pressure really doesnt need to be on as long as your keg holds pressure well. (although i would turn it on every day just to make sure it is up on pressure)

More importantly though, you probably need a new tank if it is leaking from the neck of the CO2 tank. Or is it at the fitting from the top of the bottle? If its leaking from the bottle that is sketch as HELL! If that bad boy lets loose it could get really dangerous or interesting depending on how you look at it. If it is just from around the fittings you will need have it redone. The reason I say this is they have to pass cert checks and I doubt that yours would.

Lastly the reason people keep constant pressure on their beer is so that oxygen doesnt get in with the beer because that will taint the flavors.

thanks man. yeah it is at the fitting from the top of the bottle. will probably just exchange it at the next fill up.

makes sense on keeping pressure on the keg to prevent O2 from oxidizing it. Just seems weird that O2 would even enter into it when it is sealed and purged of Oxygen.

thanks man. yeah it is at the fitting from the top of the bottle. will probably just exchange it at the next fill up.

makes sense on keeping pressure on the keg to prevent O2 from oxidizing it. Just seems weird that O2 would even enter into it when it is sealed and purged of Oxygen.

It seems weird because it won't happen.

Are you saying that it's leaking where the on-off valve screws into the tank body?

Personally, I would take it back to where you got it and let them deal with it. That valve could be cracked. Trying to tighten it while pressurized could break it off.

I don't mean to sound like a sissy here, but I once had a co2 bottle rupture the over pressure valve while sitting in my living room. It wasn't very pretty. Scared the crap out of my wife and dog.

Like a rocket firing and bouncing off of all the furniture. It was sitting next to a 100 gallon aquarium and I think that's the only thing it didn't hit.

Keep serving pressure all the time on keg while carbing and while serving. Yes it is due to absorbtion. Once it is fully carbed and you aren't drinking it, you dont have to have it on.

I would suggest taking a picture of the suspect leak and posting it. Don't just get another tank, it could just be an oring /teflon washer that needs replacment or tightening.

If you only got the tank a few days ago I would take it back ASAP and tell them its leaking. If they are a legit place they should replace it no problem for you. Then you will be back in business.

It seems weird because it won't happen.

It very well could happen if any of his seals are worn or dried out on his keg, I have had to replace several O rings that were bad.

Never say never!

Like a rocket firing and bouncing off of all the furniture. It was sitting next to a 100 gallon aquarium and I think that's the only thing it didn't hit.

wow that's crazy! Activities like that would certainly squash any plans of me keeping the kegerator in any place other than the basement by the ol' lady.

I post up a pic of the leaky tank.

It's probably just a new valve/new hydro. Take it back and swap it out. Make sure you get a full one. Their leaky tank wasted your CO2.

I bought a tank off ebay that had the same problem. I took it in to have it filled (the second time) and the place just put a tag on it and put it with the rest. They didn't care too much. I bet it's a common problem.

B

The tank valve threads into the female threads of the tank. They usually put a liquid sealer on the threads before putting it together. If it's an exchanged type deal, just take it back. It's their problem not yours.

It very well could happen if any of his seals are worn or dried out on his keg, I have had to replace several O rings that were bad.

Never say never!

The only way anything could get past the seals is if there were a negative pressure (partial vacuum) inside the keg. How would that happen?

dont eff with it, get it looked at by someone who has the proper equipment to not loose his vision/hearing/face/fingers.

The only way anything could get past the seals is if there were a negative pressure (partial vacuum) inside the keg. How would that happen?

You dont just give up do ya?

If it was not under pressure after awhile there would be no pressure if seals were bad or broken then there wouldn't need to be a vacuum for air to get in and CO2 to escape. There would be an equilibrium and they would start to diffuse with one another, sure the rate may be small but there is a greater chance it could happen. Sure its not going to happen every freaking time but id rather not have 5gal of off tasting beer. I am not saying its going to happen Or that you are wrong but you cannot simply say that it never would nor could happen. I like to be better safe than sorry.

I am not saying you are wrong, you do hold valid points which I fully understand. Nor is my advice the end all be all but there is validity to where I am coming from. End of the day I do not like to assume thing, assuming that air cannot get into your keg just makes the old ass-u-me homage work out. That is all. :mug:

Good! A defective CO2 tank is nothing to mess with. When a valve goes, you do not want to be in the same room.

You dont just give up do ya?

If it was not under pressure after awhile there would be no pressure if seals were bad or broken then there wouldn't need to be a vacuum for air to get in and CO2 to escape.

Well, think about what you're saying. If someone tries to use deteriorated, or worse yet, broken seals which would allow air to freely enter the keg, they'll never be able to pressurize it in the first place. Or, it'll leak so bad that you'll run out of CO2 very quickly.

Besides that, after purging the keg, there'll be a layer of CO2 on top of the beer protecting it. Remember, CO2 is heavier than O2.

The last thing I want to do is get into an argument, but I always have kegged beer with only the headspace purged and not under pressure, waiting in line to be force carbed. Sometimes for a month or more. I've never seen the problem you describe.

The point of all this, If you're seals are bad, replace them.

Latest posts

Back