Need advice on Extract ESB recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aidan

Reaction score
Looking for some quick advice as I want to place an order for some ingredients today so that I can brew at the weekend.

I usually brew American style pale ales as it's my favorite style, but now I want to have a go at an English style pale ale. I found an all grain recipe in the recipe database called 'Common Room ESB' which seems to be quite popular. I've come up with an extract version and slightly modied hop schedule. I'd like some feedback before I order my ingredients.

Here's my modified version of the recipe:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f64/common-room-esb-83878/index32.html#post3782997

Sorry for double posting about this but I figured more people with be looking at this forum than the English Pale Ale forum.

Cheers,
Aidan

Looks reasonable to me, although I didn't check the math on extract conversion. I think the hops sub will be fine, especially early in the game like that. And yes, you can FWH an extract batch. I started FWH before I went AG and no problems!

I'm curious, though: why add carapils "since it's an extract"?

Looks reasonable to me, although I didn't check the math on extract conversion. I think the hops sub will be fine, especially early in the game like that. And yes, you can FWH an extract batch. I started FWH before I went AG and no problems!

I'm curious, though: why add carapils "since it's an extract"?

Thanks for your feedback.

I figure the extract batch may need a little extra help with head/head retention compared to an AG batch, not sure on this logic though, but I do find in general a little caraplils does really help in the head department.

aidan said:
Thanks for your feedback.

I figure the extract batch may need a little extra help with head/head retention compared to an AG batch, not sure on this logic though, but I do find in general a little caraplils does really help in the head department.

Makes sense. Iwas just curious. Never had problems w/ head on extract brews, but I read some people do! It may raise your FG a bit, but no big deal. Let us know how it all turns out!

Back