Need advice on buying brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been reading and searching a lot on this site and was debating between the MegaPot and the Heavy Duty kettles offered by morebeer. I was leaning towards the heavy duty kettke primarily because of the thicker construction and the ports for spigot and thermometer, and I also like multi-layer bottom, which I know some people say is not necessary. I plan on starting with 5 gallon batches but easily see myself brewing larger batches. Other threads people have suggested buying more than you need initially, so I was planning on getting a 10 gallon brew pot. I just now stumbled across brew-magic's kettles (http://www.brew-magic.com/ketl_original_univ.html) and am leaning towards that due to the much cheaper price when comparing it to the heavy duty kettles of the same capacity. I will be brewing outside with a propane set up. Any reason not to get the brew-magic kettle? :confused:

Go with something 15 gallons if you can. Great for 5 gallon batches, with the capacity to go to 10 gallons when you find a recipe you love and dont want to ever run out of (which you will).

To be totally honest with you, a 10 gallon pot isn't going to get you much more than a 5 -6 gallon batch anyway. So I think you should totally go for something more "keggle" like. Do as Bad Coffee suggests and search "keggle". You could probably get a complete keggle w/ spigots, sightglass, etc for the same price if not cheaper depending on what you go with and if you or a friend can weld.

15 gallon pot!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you won't regret it. 10 gallons and you might regret it. It gets tight doing a 6 gallon batch (which you will want to set as your standard if you don't already) in a 10 gallon pot.

Coming from the owner of a 10 gallon pot.

Thanks for the replies, gonna go with the sabco. I don't have any cutting or welding knowledge or tools and I don't know anyone who does. I've been putting off brewing for far too long and just want to get started. :D

I envy those of you who can get a keg. I've been scouring craigs list for a keg for a long time. I talked to my LHBS because they had a shipment of legal commercial kegs from a distributor but they said it was a one time thing and aren't receiving them anymore. It looks like I'm going to have to buy a kettle as well.

Back