Need advice on bourbon-soaked oak cubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRJHops

Why did the rabbit like NEIPA's so much?
Reaction score
I keep meaning to use the 3 ounces of oak cubes that have now been soaking in bourbon for a year.
The time has come. I'd like to add them to a Belgian Quad.

I'm thinking 3 ounces is going to be too much? I'm leaning toward 1 or 2 ounces, for two weeks.

Full schedule: primary fermentation two weeks; secondary (same vessel) for two weeks with the oak cubes (no additional bourbon).

Or maybe 1 week primary then 3 weeks with the cubes? 1 ounce or two?

I usually use 2oz of oak cubes but since you already have been soaking them for a year, and you're putting them in a hefty quad, I'd say throw them all in. I would leave them in for over a month to get the full character out of the cubes as it takes longer than wood chips.

I usually use 2oz of oak cubes but since you already have been soaking them for a year, and you're putting them in a hefty quad, I'd say throw them all in. I would leave them in for over a month to get the full character out of the cubes as it takes longer than wood chips.

Nice! Thanks for the advice. (I probably should have noted that it's a 5 gallon batch.)

I will plan to throw in all three ounces for a month. I plan to keep some bottles for a few years, so OK if it's a little hot at first.

^ Agree. I had 4 oz of oak spirals that I forgot about in some bourbon for over a year. Added all 4 oz to a chocolate stout in secondary for two weeks. It was just right.

I soaked 50g of bourbon barrel cubes in bourbon for a week, and then added them to a keg of 13% barley wine. They’ll sit in there 3 months and then I’ll bottle.

I make a lot of Belgian dark strongs, haven’t wooded those before, but I’m sure it will turn out great.

Fwiw I used 2 oz. of Hungarian Oak Cubes, soaked in Maker's Mark for maybe a month, didn't write that down, in this year's Christmas Ale (more or less a spiced Old Ale recipe). The beer was "on the wood" in the secondary for 3 months. The manufacturer's recommendation is 3-6 months. The result is that the wood is just noticeable but not obvious. The beer is also really good after 4 months in the bottle and may not be at its best yet, so next time I'm thinking I'll back up the production schedule a bit so that it will be nicely wooded and aged by Christmas 2022.
The previous year I used oak chips, probably too much, and the beer had a disappointing taste of ... ugh ... wet wood.

Back