Need advice on bottling my first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJtarheel

Reaction score
During brew day a couple weeks ago, I cleaned my bottles with Beer Brite. When I get ready to bottle, I will soak the bottles in a Iodofor solution, rinse and put in the dishwasher solo with no soap. After the bottles cool, I will fill immediately. Is this process acceptable?

Fermenting: American Brewmaster "American Pale Ale"

In the mail: Northern Brewer's Chinook IPA

During brew day a couple weeks ago, I cleaned my bottles with Beer Brite. When I get ready to bottle, I will soak the bottles in a Iodofor solution, rinse and put in the dishwasher solo with no soap. After the bottles cool, I will fill immediately. Is this process acceptable?

Sounds good to me. :mug:

soak with Iodofor solution and then bottle
this is a no rinse solution. you can bottle right away

Deltac

That process sounds good to me as long as you're sanitizing everything on bottling day.

I usually siphon the sanitizing solution I have in my sink to the bottles. By the time I'm done filling all of them, the first ones have been soaking for about 20 minutes or so. Then, I use the bottle brush on them, dump everything, & sit the empties upside-down in the dishwasher. You could always give them a rinse in the dishwasher w/o soap if you want.

From what I've read, any residual sanitizing solution left in the bottle will kill any dirt/bacteria that may come in contact with it from the point you cleaned the bottles to the point they are filled & capped. IMO, as long as you're using a no-rinse sanitizing solution, you probably don't need to run them thru the dishwasher after soaking, but I'm not familiar with your sanitizer.

If you do a thread search, I think Revvy has a great one on the whole bottling process.

A good tip is to connect your bottling wand to the spigot of your bottling bucket with a short (3" -4") section of hose. Set your bottling bucket on the counter above your dishwasher, open the door and pull up a chair..

Search and you can find a pic of this set up. Works great and the door collects any drips. To clean up..... close the dishwasher door.

search around for Revvy's post on bottling, I read it before my first batch, followed his instructions just about exactly, and bottling was just about as effortless as it could be (even bought the vinator bottles rinser ---a flat out necessity for bottling).

Long story slightly long, his method saved me serious time/aggravation.

A good tip is to connect your bottling wand to the spigot of your bottling bucket with a short (3" -4") section of hose. Set your bottling bucket on the counter above your dishwasher, open the door and pull up a chair..

Search and you can find a pic of this set up. Works great and the door collects any drips. To clean up..... close the dishwasher door.

I agree with the bottling in the dishwasher, did that on my first batch and it worked great! I soak my bottles ( always rinsed well right after pouring ) in starsan and place them in the dishwasher upside down to dry while I am getting everything else ready. Then flip the bottles and fill em up. I have a tip that may help on your first time bottling that I didnt really get until almost the end of my bottling session. Fill the bottle to the top, then when you pull the fill tubing out and drain whats left after the clamp on the hose they will all be filled to the proper level.:mug:

Are they cleaned and then sanitized, if you do those two, you got nothin to worry about.

My process is to rinse bottles after each pour, if you clean/rinse them with the cake on the bottle still wet from the beer, you shouldn't to do as much work. Before bottling I soak them in Iodophor solution, then into the dishwasher to rinse and heat dry. Wake up the next morning, set my gear up above the dishwasher, and bottle.

If its your first time bottling, I would do a dry run, or I guess a wet run with water , the day before. It will give you a good idea how fast they fill, and perfect your technique. I find having a light behind the bottle somewhere helps with filling the dark bottles, otherwise it can be tough to see how full they are getting.

Not to hijack the thread or anything but... Is it necessary to have your bottles completely dry when bottling? (I use a no rinse sanitizer)

Not to hijack the thread or anything but... Is it necessary to have your bottles completely dry when bottling? (I use a no rinse sanitizer)

no. if you're using a no rinse sanitizer, its fine to bottle if they're still wet. I know that for StarSan and Iodophor, they actually lose their effectiveness when they dry.

OP: I don't think you need to use both the Iodophor and the dishwasher. I either rinse them in StarSan right before I fill them, or run them through the dishwasher with no soap on the hottest setting, and bottle straight from there. It won't hurt to do both, but I don't think its necessary

Back