Need advice on bittering hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheH2

Reaction score
I'm brewing a pumpkin and the recipe that I am sort of following calls for 1.5 oz of chinook bittering hops. That seems like a lot to me, (I'm not brewing an IPA). Would it be wise to use .75 or even .5 oz. of chinook?

The recipe also calls for Tablespoons of spices which could be used to balance out the bitterness (I guess). I only plan on using about 2 tsps of spices in the last few minutes of the boil.

I would not use chinook, it's got too strong a taste for a pumpkin beer for me, but I do love it in IPA. If it's all you have, then start with .5oz, however it depends on your target gravity. Maybe you could show the recipe.

Chinook can be harsh if too much is used and I would not recommend it for a spice beer. If you do decide to use them then cut it in half depending on the OG. You usually just want enough bitterness to balance out the spices and not much if any hop aroma.

My recipe:

Mash:
3lb 6 row pilsner malt
.5 lb carapils
1lb munich
1lb vienna
.5lb crystal malt

Hops: 1.5 oz. chinook (beginning). The only bittering substitute I have is galena but I only have .4 oz. Also have limited Wiliammette but I don't think that would do much as bittering.

1 oz fuggle and .5 hersbrucker (15 min.) - I plan on cutting these in half
.5 oz hersbrucker (2 Min) - I'm not doing this

I'm mashing the pumpkin with the malt and plan on using about 3 tsp of spice in the last few minutes of the boil.

Thanks for your help.

Back