Need advice on all grain set up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joon75

Reaction score
I've been brewing extract for about six months and thinking about going all grain. My brother gave me three 15.5 gallons kegs. I wanted to cut the top off and also add ball valves and thermometers. Basically having a HLT, MASH, and a Boiling kettle as my set up. My question is is this to big of a set up for five gallon batches? I don't see myself doing 10 gallons batches but you never know. Should I invest in auch a set up? Your advice would be truly appreciated. Thanks!

My advice is go bigger than you thought you'd need. I planned on 5 gallon batches, but bought my equipment to hangle 10 gallon "just in case". I've made quite a few 10 gallon batches, especially of my favorite beers. And 15 gallon keggles will be fine for 5 gallon batches.

Since you already have the kegs, you're ahead of the game. Having a larger setup means you CAN do larger batches, not that you HAVE to. You may find you want to though. Getting into All-grain means you have to spend more time on brew day... Usually takes me about 5 hours for a 5- gallon batch from start to finish, but only 6 hours for a10 gallon batch. You'll get more beer for your time with larger batches.

Back