Need advice/input on a Wheat Ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chynes077

Reaction score
I also posted this in the Extract Brewing forum, but I thought I'd give it a shot here too.

Here's a recipe I want to try. Any advice/input about changing amounts is fine with me. I've only been brewing for a little while and this will be my first extract without following a recipe, I've only ever deviated a little on recipes that i've followed. It's just based on others I have seen.

This is supposed to be for a 23 L batch, so approx 6 gal.

Here it is:

-4.4 lbs Light LME
-1 lb Weizen (60% wheat/40% barley)
-1 lb Canadian 2 Row (steep until water is 160 degrees)
-1 lb Flaked Barley (steep until water is 160 degrees)
-1 oz East Kent Goldings hops 60 min
-1 oz Saaz (or should I us Citra?) 10 min
-2 oz orange peel
-1 oz clementine peel
-Safbrew WB-06

I would add the orange & clementine at the end of the boil to just draw a bit of the flavour and to kill any nasties that may be there.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Hello, In my wheat beers I only use 1 1/2 Tbls of orange peel, but I do add it @ 10 min left in the boil. so Im not how much would be appropriate right before flame out.

My wheats come out with a good hint of orange.

I dont use any Flaked Barley in my wheat's, so Im not sure if I would try that in one of my wheat beers, as I really like the way mine come out, I might have to look into it though.

Good luck!

Cheers :mug:

The 2-row and any flaked grains - whether barley or wheat or whatever - need to be mashed, not steeped. You want to hold the temperature between 146F and 158F (try for 152F) for 30 - 60 minutes. Use brewing software or an online calculator to figure out what temperature to heat your "strike" water to in order to hit the mash temperature.

The 1lb "weizen" is an extract I assume?

Use only the zest of the citrus, not the whole peel. I'd use at least half of the zest after fermentation is complete. Put the zest in a small jar with enough vodka to cover, let it steep for a few days and add all of it to your beer 5-7 days before bottling. Whatever zest you don't add after fermentation can be put in the boil for 5 minutes or at flame out.

Terminology nitpick: This really isn't a wheat beer recipe, it's a barley beer with a little bit of wheat. Nothing wrong with that, but to call something a wheat beer it generally needs to be made from a minimum of 25% wheat.

Yeah, the Weizen is Dry Wheat Malt Extract.

Thanks for the help! I'll adjust the recipe and see how it goes.

Cheers

Back