Need advice for LHBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfish63

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am thinking of opening a shop in my area. The closest one to me is an hour away. My company is downsizing so I am really wondering if I could make this happen. Does any one hear have some experience trying something like this?

I don't want to rain on your parade, but now is a very bad time to try and open a new brew shop.

The hop shortage has resulted in many hop distributors putting a freeze on new contracts, there is no way you could compete with the internet business. A lot of well-established brew shops are starting to feel the pinch because they just can't get the product for their customers. If I were you I'd wait until the hop situation improves before even thinking about opening a shop.

TheJadedDog said:
I don't want to rain on your parade, but now is a very bad time to try and open a new brew shop.

The hop shortage has resulted in many hop distributors putting a freeze on new contracts, there is no way you could compete with the internet business. A lot of well-established brew shops are starting to feel the pinch because they just can't get the product for their customers. If I were you I'd wait until the hop situation improves before even thinking about opening a shop.

Good advice, especially since even if you can get the hops, prices will be ridiculous scaring away any first time customers forever.

Don't worry about the parade, it was called off. Thanks for the advice that is the kind of stuff I am looking for. I am not rushing into anything. Just kicking around a few ideas. Keep the thoughts coming.

Back