Need Advice ASAP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgortel

Reaction score
Brewing Biermuncher Centenniel Blonde. My pre-boil volume should have been 7.2 gallons for my setup. It is actually 7.7. Never missed my volumes by this much before.

Anyway....my plan is to boil 30 minutes to evaporate 1/2 gallon......then that will be the starting point of what should be my 60 minute boil at which time I will add first hops so hop utilization is correct.

Does this sound like the right way to handle this. i.e. no downside to boiling an extra half hour to remove some liquid as long as my hop boil times are as planned.

Thanks!

Nope. I do that quite frequently. You may have a slightly higher OG than planned, but shouldnt be too bad. Did you take a pre-boil gravity reading?

Also, another benefit to doing this, is that youll be getting rid of dang near all DMS, so should be a nice clean blonde

Taking pre boil gravity reading as soon as sample cools......

THis is good....extends my brew day by 30 minutes! ;lol

Pre Boil Gravity came in good at 1.030.....was expecting 1.032 with 7.2 gallons......so its right on target for larger volume. Mash efficiency of 73%.....right in my normal range

Brewing Biermuncher Centenniel Blonde. My pre-boil volume should have been 7.2 gallons for my setup. It is actually 7.7. Never missed my volumes by this much before.

Anyway....my plan is to boil 30 minutes to evaporate 1/2 gallon......then that will be the starting point of what should be my 60 minute boil at which time I will add first hops so hop utilization is correct.

Does this sound like the right way to handle this. i.e. no downside to boiling an extra half hour to remove some liquid as long as my hop boil times are as planned.

Yes, this is a good plan.

You're about 7% over the planned volume. I'd forget the extra boil time and make a half gallon more beer. The beer would have about 93% as much alcohol as planned, hardly enough difference to notice. JMHO

Unless that extra 7% won't fit in the keg.
Pre-boil volume errors happen. I'm inclined to fix them before the first hops hit the kettle and let the rest of the plan play out...

Cheers!

Unless that extra 7% won't fit in the keg.

Pre-boil volume errors happen. I'm inclined to fix them before the first hops hit the kettle and let the rest of the plan play out...

Cheers!

Extra boil time works well to correct an over volume error. When I do this, I don't typically hold back the first hop additions, difference between 60 and 90 minutes for boiling hops is very minimal as extraction at 60 minutes is close to maximum, and the added time doesn't do much...

I tend to boil to a finished volume rather than an exact time, but time my late additions to the end of boil.

Boils are typically 60-75 minutes unless I'm in a hurry, not really sure....Cheers

Back