need a wheat AG recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick1023

Reaction score
Have brewed a few british ales AG and want to brew a wheat.
Im thinking belgian wit, blue moon or sunshine-ish. Any favorite recipes? Oh and I have heard a lot about stuck sparges with using wheat, any tips to help avoid this?

I did a modification of the recipe below and used unbleached flour for the source of the wheat and the use of 6 Row for more enzymes/husks.
I did NOT use rice hulls, did a batch sparging and it ran pretty clear.

There were two keys for me.

1. Cut the top of the grain bed periodically to keep the wort flowing.
2. Keep about 2 1/2 feet of head pressure (actually vacuum in this case) between the mash tun and the grant. (I used a 3/8" id vinal tube to drain the mash tun. keep the opening of the tube under the collected wort)

IMHO, the column of wort creating high pressure differential between the outlet and the reservoir of wort above the grain bed. And before you ask, no the grain bed did not get overly compacted. The batch size was 5 Gallons.

http://hbd.org/carboy/recipes/wit3.htm

I've yet to bottle the result, I've tasted the un-carbonated product and its good.

Greyhair.

I did a modification of the recipe below and used unbleached flour for the source of the wheat and the use of 6 Row for more enzymes/husks.
I did NOT use rice hulls, did a batch sparging and it ran pretty clear.

There were two keys for me.

1. Cut the top of the grain bed periodically to keep the wort flowing.
2. Keep about 2 1/2 feet of head pressure (actually vacuum in this case) between the mash tun and the grant. (I used a 3/8" id vinal tube to drain the mash tun. keep the opening of the tube under the collected wort)

IMHO, the column of wort creating high pressure differential between the outlet and the reservoir of wort above the grain bed. And before you ask, no the grain bed did not get overly compacted. The batch size was 5 Gallons.

http://hbd.org/carboy/recipes/wit3.htm

I've yet to bottle the result, I've tasted the un-carbonated product and its good.

Greyhair.

The link is bad the site has removed content I am looking for a good grain recipe too

my go to wit recipe is 50% 2 row, 40% white wheat, 10% flakes oats

my go to wit yeast is the forbiden fruit from wyeast

CityOChampBrew said:
my go to wit recipe is 50% 2 row, 40% white wheat, 10% flakes oats

my go to wit yeast is the forbiden fruit from wyeast

What about hops? Any suggestions I have nugget and EKG on hand but probably too harsh huh...

any hop will work.. all depends on the style of wheat you are aiming at

I just recomment shooting for a low ibu, somewhere under 20 unless you want a hoppy style and then just go for a early(bitterning) additions

Back