Need a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goyagon

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a beer that's easy to drink moderately high in abv level but with enough flavor that I still know I'm drinking a homebrew. Maybe a slight fruitiness would be good too. I mostly brew ipas and hoppy pales but not everyone seems to like those. Any suggestions?

I'm looking to make a beer that's easy to drink moderately high in abv level but with enough flavor that I still know I'm drinking a homebrew. Maybe a slight fruitiness would be good too. I mostly brew ipas and hoppy pales but not everyone seems to like those. Any suggestions?

What kind of beer are you thinking?

Fermenting a Saison right now. My first one. It seems there are slight variations on recipes and abv %. So you can taylor it to your tastes. The yeast should be the main focus of your recipe.

Do a northern english brown
Bitter with chinook( about 20ibus) and go with another 15 ibu of ekg at 16.
grain bill could either be maris otter 80% or munich. 10 % pale chocolate, 5% crystal and 5% oats

Yooper said:
What kind of beer are you thinking?

Something light probably American or English style ales, mostly something with low bitterness but can still be hoppy, nothing with a lot of roasted malts. I've tried wheat beers but they come out to plain to me.

Brewtah said:
Fermenting a Saison right now. My first one. It seems there are slight variations on recipes and abv %. So you can taylor it to your tastes. The yeast should be the main focus of your recipe.

I'm not very familiar with saisons could you link me a good recipe?

Not sure of your set up (Extract, PM, AG?) but you can find some solid recipes right here from members like you haha

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/

Pretty much pale malt with a little wheat, aromatic or biscuit if you want. I am using Victory in mine for a nice little nuttiness. A little bit of noble hops, then some saison yeast and bam!

Look into American Cream Ale recipes.

These beers are generally in the 5% ABV range, light, crisp and/or fruity and anyone will drink them. A made Biermuncher's Cream of Three Crops (do a search on here and you will find it) for a wedding. 150 bottles of it were gone in 3 hours at the reception and I had 8 people compliment me on my beer!

VTrookie said:
Not sure of your set up (Extract, PM, AG?) but you can find some solid recipes right here from members like you haha

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/

Pretty much pale malt with a little wheat, aromatic or biscuit if you want. I am using Victory in mine for a nice little nuttiness. A little bit of noble hops, then some saison yeast and bam!

Thanks for the link. I do all grain with an igloo mash tun. I was hoping someone could give me a specific recipe though since there's soo many different recipe threads and I don't know which to choose.

Look through a few of the saisons... see what strikes you. Research the style a little and the variables you can play with like hops and malts. I always read up for about a week or so on a style before I try to brew it so I know what sort of flavors I am looking for and what kind of room I have to play with in terms of creative flavor additions.

That Cottage House Saison looks good or the Ole Zion Church Saison. If it is your first though, I may subtract the orange peel and coriander to get a nice solid understanding of the foundation of a saison. If you look at a few it is just pale malts with a hint of some aromatic or biscuit for malt flavor, a little bit of hopping with some nobles to bring a slight bitterness out then the yeast takes care of the rest. The color can range from blonde to amber and the IBUs are typically around 30-35. The yeasts produce some spicy citrus flavors that help round the beer out so you don't really need the added spices if you want to keep it simple.

When going to keg or bottle, saisons also tend to be a bit more carbonated then most beers, falling in the 3-3.5 range i believe.

Back