Need a new LHBS in Boulder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker36

Reaction score
The place I had been using (What's Brewin' on 49th and Pearl) is closing. Haven't heard of any other good places other than a few stores that focus on wine. Anybody have any good suggestions? I've heard of a place called "The Beer Store", but don't know where it is.

Beer at Home is at 1325 W 121st in Westminster. It is probably the closest store to you. I have never shopped there so I'm not sure what it is like.
303-789-3676

Good luck. :mug:

Dude, I feel your pain...while Levi and the guys that work at that shop can be real dicks sometimes, they had great prices on grain ($1.00/lb for Rahr 2-row, $1.15/lb for great western 2-row, and $1.35/lb for all specialty grains) and they had a nice mill that they allow you to use for free and adjust to your liking.

Beer at Home is my next option, I am going to head by What's Brewin' after work today to say hi and see if they have anything left, they are literally selling everything in the store now and everything has to be gone by Nov. 30th. If What's Brewin' is out of everything, I'll head down to Beer at Home afterward...they have a kind of crappy website and their prices seem to be a fair bit higher....

I hate to leave Boulder to go shopping, just seems ridiculous, hopefully someone will step up and open a new HBS here, seems silly with the huge number of homebrewers in this town that we no longer have a HBS.

I was there last week and they had decent stock, especially of LME. No DME< hops were getting low, fairly limited selection of liquid yeasts. Grains selection was just ok, they seemed to have atleast a little bittle left of everything, but that was a week ago. I thought that for a liquidation sale, they would have better than 15% off. Oh well, I might just have to make one last trip at the end of the month for some final pickings.

I got the feeling after the father died, the son wanted to get rid of the business. Not because it wasn't making money, just not enough for the effort. Everytime I went there, the place was packed, so it had to be making some cash.

Whats brewing is closing :( Damn... Ya, the one in westminster is the next bet. Havent been there yet, but I dont really want to have to drive 20 minutes to pick up brewing supplies... Good news is that they are open till 7:00pm on weekdays!

Just spoke to a guy at the shop, they are running out of base malts, have specialty grains and a minimal amount of hops. I may just stop in this afternoon and pick up a few oz's of hops and a couple packages of yeast, everything is 25% off so I might as well...

Guess I will be making a trip down to the store in Westminster soon.

So who is going to fill the void? With such a strong beer community, it doesn't make sense to me that there wont be a HBS in Boulder anymore... Hopefully someone will figure out there is a market for this and we wont have to travel to Westminster for supplies...

I shop at Beer at Home (Westminster) - not a bad place. They actually have a great selection of grains (both specialty and base) and always seem to have all the White Labs strains. The only bummer is they don't carry Wyeast - it would be nice to have options.

I've been buying bulk base malt from Brewer Supply in Denver. We could always arrange a group buy - you save an incredible amount buying in bulk.

I don't see myself buying bulk grain now, not enough space to store it and I don't have a mill, it was just so convenient to buy grains a day or two before brewing...

Went by What's Brewin' today, pretty sad, they are out of base grains, out of a lot of specialty grains, and small things. I bought about a pound of assorted pellet and leaf hops and some US05.

The guy working there said Levi just wasn't into it anymore and wanted to move onto other things. He did say that an owner could pull in $100k/yr with the store, frankly, I doubt that, but whatever. I hope someone steps up and opens a store.

Went to Beer at Home, nice selection of grains but the prices are way way higher than What's Brewin' had for grains (I didn't look at any other prices...) and their mill was way out of whack and they wouldn't let me adjust it or adjust it themselves. I passed my grains through twice and I still only had about 54% mash efficiency (I am usually 75-80%).

RichBrewer said:
Please tell me more about this... :mug:

Everyone interested in the group buy commits to how many bags of grain they would like to buy. We pick a day and a couple of us drive down and buy all the grain. Drive it back to one person's home were everyone picks it up.

I don't remember the exact prices, but I think last time a bag was < $30 (50-55 lbs) and I purchased 2 bags of Crisp Maris Otter and 1 bag of Pilsner malt and the total was less than $100.

I still buy my specialty grains, hops, yeast, etc. from the LHBS.

Thanks for the info. Prices have really gone up... Nonetheless, still around 50% cheaper than LHBS.

Another idea, if we all use certain specialty grains a lot, we could also buy one bag of each and split it up. This may be a tougher and more work than it's worth?

caskconditioned said:
Thanks for the info. Prices have really gone up... Nonetheless, still around 50% cheaper than LHBS.

Another idea, if we all use certain specialty grains a lot, we could also buy one bag of each and split it up. This may be a tougher and more work than it's worth?

@ $0.51/lb for rahr 2-row vs. $1.75/lb, way more than 50% cheaper...I may be looking into grain mills soon...

ColoradoXJ13 said:
Good news folks! New shop opening in Boulder, and its run by Stomp Them Grapes, a shop in Denver that I thought was really great when I went there.

http://www.stompthemgrapes.com/
That's excellent news - although I live in Broomfield, I will not mind making the drive for cheaper bulk grain and possibly a better selection of yeast.

I am also really bummed about What's Brewing closing down.* I live in Longmont and the Beer at home store is quite a haul away.* They are also pretty expensive.* To buy base malt from the Brewers Supply do you have to get a whole pallet? I only need 2 to 3 bags of 2 row.* Is anyone else interested in a group buy?*

Awesome news about the new homebrew shop. Paying a minimum of $6 to ship supplies from online was getting to me.

They don't sell directly to the public (cause they want the LHB stores to gauge us - JK). I had a contact that could order for me but he recently moved out of town. But maybe one of us can find (covertly) a person and then we can do a big buy.

Anybody know when the new LHBS opens or where it is going to be? Maybe they bought up What's Brewin'?

Parker36 said:
Anybody know when the new LHBS opens or where it is going to be? Maybe they bought up What's Brewin'?

They didn't buy What's Brewin'. What's Brewin' sold all their crap off.

This is from another board (non-brewing) from a friend who talked with the guys opening it,

"Good news for all you Boulder brewers. I was in chatting with the owner at Stomp them Grapes and they are filling the void and opening a second shop up in Boulder. He told me the location but I don't know Boulder well at all and I forget but it sounded like somewhere right in between the 2 locations the previous homebrew shops were (old and new location, same shop).

He's thinking it'll be more geared towards beer brewing vs wine making since they've got a big wine making inventory at the current store but of course demand will dictate just how much of what you'll find. I know they are working as fast as possible to get the place open but no date set just yet. As soon as I know more (exact location and opening day) I'll post it up!"

I searched the forum and some gentlemen in Texas (Austin area) were able to order a pallet or two of grain. I will keep looking into this issue since there was a good amount of interest from the colorado brewers. Even with the to be new home brew store in Boulder a bulk grain purchase should save us a considerable amount of money.

Beer at home in Westminster. Andy is a great guy. He'll talk your ear off about beer and life in Baltimore and just about anything else you wanna discuss. Good people.

Just heard back from the Stomp Those Grapes guy and said that they plan for a "soft" opening between Feb 13 and 20th. I'll keep everybody updated.

Labrat said:
I searched the forum and some gentlemen in Texas (Austin area) were able to order a pallet or two of grain. I will keep looking into this issue since there was a good amount of interest from the colorado brewers. Even with the to be new home brew store in Boulder a bulk grain purchase should save us a considerable amount of money.
I would be interested! :mug:

Back