Need a kegerator or keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blitzgp

Reaction score
I have read the stickies and around the forums, and while they are great information, they are a little dated. Are there any more recent posts that people know of with current models that can still be purchased? I am looking for something that can hold 2 cornies and a 5-lb bottle.

Most folks around here convert a fridge or freezer to use for serving kegged homebrew. I don't think there's been much change in the methods for doing that recently. If you're looking for info about pre-made kegerator units, you'd probably have better luck getting info on current models from the manufacurers' websites.

I'm looking for a do-it yourself, but preferably less modification. I'm just looking for any specific model numbers for friendly units aka, mini fridge sans freezer, or good dimensions that don't require me to hack out too much of the interior molding or doors.

Like thadius856 did an awesome re-write comparison for chest freezers, but the original post is 2 years old. Is there something like this for mini-fridges that anyone knows of.

I have read the stickies and around the forums, and while they are great information, they are a little dated. Are there any more recent posts that people know of with current models that can still be purchased? I am looking for something that can hold 2 cornies and a 5-lb bottle.

I just built this over the weekend.

http://imgur.com/a/lKuQ3

I used the 6.8 magic chef chest freezer from Home depot 158$. It will hold 3 pinlock kegs (maybe 4 ball lock) and a co2 tank. If you have any questions let me know.

all these keezer posts and replies indirectly answered my question, forget about a kegerator :)

Now I just need to figure out if I want a coffin or collar keezer. Is a coffin keezer, just the bar back instead of a tap tower, where people cool that area so the dispensing lines are "equal" temperature and don't cause foam ups?

Check craigslist before you buy anything new. A vast majority of chest freezers are barely used. Who needs 70 lbs. of ground beef?!!! Bacon... maybe. But ground beef?!!! Most people buy them with this whole "cost savers" and "coupon queen" mentalities, but it wears thin quickly. You can usually get them for a steal!!!

3 corneys will fit in a 5cu. ft. chest freezer with a 2x10 collar. You'd need a 7 cu. ft. without a collar.

I have a 5 cu. ft. with 3 taps, and it's easy to toss in the back of the suv and bring it to other locations. The possibility's are endless with this little bad ass!

I'm gonna build a 7-8 ft. and that'll be the "home only" coffin keezer. That'll be the showpiece... but it'll never compare to my little 3 tap sweetie. She's been good to me for a few years now, and she was also my first. Many a good time with her.

If I had to do it all over again for a first time keezer, I'd go with the 5 footer every time. She's super convenient, and always a hit. Makes those "cooler keggers" look like amateur hour. Lol! I took it camping once too! You just have to rent a site for trailers so you have a power outlet. Huge conversation piece...

Honestly though, it doesn't matter what any of us say. You're going to build your own. So stop asking us and build your own unique piece.

Don't forget the pics!!!

all these keezer posts and replies indirectly answered my question, forget about a kegerator :)

Now I just need to figure out if I want a coffin or collar keezer. Is a coffin keezer, just the bar back instead of a tap tower, where people cool that area so the dispensing lines are "equal" temperature and don't cause foam ups?

You mentioned in a previous post that you wanted "less modification". That means you want a collar keezer. The coffin keezers are the ones where you build a box around the entire thing. They are beautiful but they are more work. :rockin:

Craigslist is your friend. For ease of building, I find that picnic taps work well and can even be a cheap and effective interim step to get you up and running.

Just be sure to disconnect your beer lines when they arent in use. I find it is really easy to accidentally pinch the cobra/picnic taps between keg and wall or at times when pressure rises too much they like to leak. They do work though.

Back