Need a Grain Scale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealperkins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My grain scale is giving up the ghost after a few years of service.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good, cheap, digital scale? I guess it needs to handle at least 30#. Williams Brewing is featuring one in their most recent catalog that looks good on paper.

Thanks

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good, cheap, digital scale? I guess it needs to handle at least 30#. Williams Brewing is featuring one in their most recent catalog that looks good on paper.

Thanks

Take a look at harbor freight they have several. I would watch the scales platform size. I like to use a five gallon bucket so I need one to fit that size
Also several listed on e/bay

Dominus Vobiscum

Swagman:cool:

Thanks

I buy scales on Amazon... thier prices are hard to beat. Got my grain scale there as well as a jeweler scale to measure water salts.

Oh, it is a 600g x .1g American Weigh scale on Amazon...

It is pretty! It also weighs in ounces and carats :D

Came with a plastic cover that doubles as a tray. 5 year warranty. Nice little faux leather case.

Oh, it is a 600g x .1g American Weigh scale on Amazon...

How long the batteries last? I have an Escali 100gx.05g and the batteries last like 2 months. They are a watch style battery that I rarely have around. I see that one uses AAA. I may pick up one of those.

I just bought a WeighMax scale off ebay for a great price ($12 including shipping)! It weighs from .1 ounce up to 35# and it even has a tare function. Looks to be a pretty decent scale for the price.

WeighMax Precision Scales

I have yet to see a high capacity scale that can accurately weigh very small fractions of an ounce. The key word here is accurately. Have you actually tried weighing out 0.10 of an ounce on that thing? I have two scales for this reason. One for large quantities and one for very small amounts. Toss a dime onto that scale. The dime should weigh just under 1/10 of an ounce. My scale pegs it at 0.08 ounces. The good new is that when using hops in most beers you would be very hard pressed to detect a difference of anything less than 1/4 ounce and even that amount is questionable. I never bother with measureing to anything closer than 1/2 ounce except when buying heroin and such.

Good info, thanks.

Endo, do you recall the retailer you bought your scale from. The retailers listed don't seem to have the same catalog number.

Thanks

Good info, thanks.

Endo, do you recall the retailer you bought your scale from. The retailers listed don't seem to have the same catalog number.

Thanks

I don't think it was actually a retailer but rather a private party. It was still new in the package but didn't have the AC adapter. It works just fine off the battery, though. I just did a search for WeighMax and then looked for the scale with a max capacity of 35#.

Catt22 - I did weigh out the package of hops I bought recently from my HBS and it registered as 2 oz. just as the package stated. I weighed out .75 of an ounce today for my newest APA and just kind of estimated between .7 and .8 of an ounce. I'm not too concerned about it being perfect since .05 of an ounce in 5 gallons seems kind of ridiculous to me (I did go .8 just for good measure though;)) - but obviously I am neither a professional nor a perfectionist on this. It looks like about the right amount too. Up to this point I have just kind of visually estimated my hops usage, so I think this is a pretty cool little tool.

I have yet to see a high capacity scale that can accurately weigh very small fractions of an ounce. The key word here is accurately. Have you actually tried weighing out 0.10 of an ounce on that thing? I have two scales for this reason. One for large quantities and one for very small amounts. Toss a dime onto that scale. The dime should weigh just under 1/10 of an ounce. My scale pegs it at 0.08 ounces. The good new is that when using hops in most beers you would be very hard pressed to detect a difference of anything less than 1/4 ounce and even that amount is questionable. I never bother with measureing to anything closer than 1/2 ounce except when buying heroin and such.

Ok, so you got me curious...

I put 1 dime on the scale and there was no reading (0.0).

I put 3 dimes on the scale and it read .2.

I put 10 dimes on the scale and it read .9.

Took one off and 9 dimes reads .7.

Hmmm... I guess for my purposes that's perfect! Or at least it's WAY more accurate than my previous method :cool:

Bed Bath & Beyond has a Salter digital scale that measures to 1/8 of an oz. Is there any reason to need anything more accurate for hops & specialty grains?

I got a digital scale @ Wally World. Works like a charm. Automatically allows for the weight of the measuring container (bowl) when you turn it on. I think that it was around $30. Montanaandy

I am assuming that they are accurate. The 2 oz. of hops that I purchase measure out at 2 oz on the nose. Montanaandy

Back