Need a good stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darknight3684

Reaction score
This is only my second time brewing so I need something fairly easy. I'm not to sure if I want to jump right into allgain. Thanks fellow brewers!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Home Brew mobile app

This kit is excellent. It was my second brew, extract with steeping grains. They also sell it partial mash and all-grain (I have an all-grain version bottle conditioning now.)

They send a recipe with the instructions so you can duplicate it down the line. I recommend ignoring their advice to put it in a secondary if you go with this kit. I prefer nottingham for the yeast on this one, though WLP004 worked well also.

Check this forum for the None More Black Vanilla Stout. Easy recipe, pretty forgiving, and good enough to be your go-to stout recipe/base.

Sent from my EVO using Home Brew mobile app

This is only my second time brewing so I need something fairly easy. I'm not to sure if I want to jump right into allgain. Thanks fellow brewers!!

I recently returned to brewing, and am now going AG, however this kit I brewed and its quite good (need to let it age at least 8 weeks, and I'd keep it in the primary for 3 weeks, not 2). http://www.keystonehomebrew.com/shop/beer/ingredient-kits/keystone-extract-kits/oatmeal-stout-box-kit.html

The addition of the oatmeal adds the fullness to this beer. Quite nice! Let us know what you brewed, and how you liked it!

My next brew will either be a breakfast stout (essentially this with coffee and chocolate) or a coffee porter, and I plan to brew a 2 - 2.5g AG and another extract (with steeping grains) and compare! So, that may be an easy way for you to move towards AG (smaller kettle & tun, quicker boils, and can cool in ice bath w/o a wort chiller until you decide). I'm looking forward to the test. I wonder if the darker brews (which seem so forgiving) will have much taste difference between the two- not that I'd go away from AG, just curious.

Cheers!:mug:

Back