Need a good light lager recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordonwes

Reaction score
I'm about to buy a HERM system and really really want a light lager to be my first batch. Anybody know of a good recipe I should look into? Any tips on that kind of system that I should know about? :mug:

I just made a Bohemian pilsner which was great. It was a decoction, though, so I assume you don't want to do that. Still, you could do it as a single infusion mash and I think it would just as good.

10 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 95.24 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
1.25 oz Saaz [5.80 %] (60 min) Hops 22.6 IBU
0.75 oz Saaz [5.80 %] (30 min) Hops 10.4 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [5.80 %] (10 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [5.80 %] (0 min)
Czech Budejovice Lager (White Labs #WLP802)

OG 1.054
FG 1.012

Use soft water. Mash at 150 degrees for 90 minutes. Make a HUGE starter, and put in fridge so you can decant the spent wort. Pitch 45 degree yeast into 48 degree wort and ferment at 48 degrees until 75% of the way to FG (1.020 is good). Do a diacetyl rest at 60 degrees for 48 hours, then rack the beer and lager at 34 degrees for 6-8 weeks.

As far as the HERMS system goes, it's pretty simple. We just "tweaked" mine, and did an augural brew on it today. We webcasted, so I wish I would have known you were interested in HERMS because I would have let you know! We just finished about an hour ago.

What kind of system are you buying? How big is the MLT and the HLT? Is it an electric rig or gas?

I'm buying a system that will have gas burners...the system will be converted kegs (15.5 gallons). I have a 14 gallon stainless fermenter that will be put in a temp controlled fridge. I want it to taste like commercial/marketable beer (Coors light) with my own twist on it. What fermentables can I use to make it taste different than the BIG 3?

Back