Need a good extract + specialty recipe for first time homebrew drinker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperiorBrew

Reaction score
Starting out a friend homebrewing tomorrow. He has never done it or even drank any before.
I have plenty of Golden light DME, almost all the specialty grains & some Cry Havoc yeast I just pitched into a 1.5L starter.
He is used to that fizzy yellow stuff so I dont want to be too hard on him.
I also plan on a doing a Honey Kölsch with LME and 1010 Wheat yeast for his second brew. Maybe we will do a full boil or late extract addition & I will have him make the starter.
He lives 300 miles away so I am hoping we can get 3 batches done in 2 days with time for drinking and a little ice fishing :mug:

How about an English Pale Ale? I did that one in the Brewer's Best kit for one of my first beers, and it really was easy plus it tasted good! That would also give him an idea of British hops, and the differences between English pale ales, and APA. Do you have a big selection of hops to choose from? (I saved the instruction sheet from that kit, so I can type it out for you if you want- I'm not sure it really used English style hops, but it tasted close).

Thats sounds good, What were the specialty grains? I should have the hops covered, I may have done a little hoarding :)

SuperiorBrew said:
Thats sounds good, What were the specialty grains? I should have the hops covered, I may have done a little hoarding :)

Aha!! The REAL reason hops are in a shortage! :D

SuperiorBrew said:

It's:

3.3 Pounds light LME
2 pounds light DME
8 oz Crystal 60L
1 oz Perle 60 minutes
1.5 oz Willamette 5 minutes.

Sg was 1.045.
Fg was 1.014

I didn't write down the IBUs, or the AAUs of the hops since I was a new brewer. But I did write down that it tasted pretty good, and that was before I was a hophead.

How about a Blonde Ale? It's a fairly accessible style for the new-to-good-beer drinker, but still interesting enough for the veteran. Jamil had a great example in the last BYO magazine.

Here's my take on it:

Easy Blonde

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

06-B Light Hybrid Beer, Blonde Ale

Min OG: 1.038 Max OG: 1.054
Min IBU: 15 Max IBU: 28
Min Clr: 2 Max Clr: 5 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 3.00
Total Extract (Lbs): 6.50
Anticipated OG: 1.045 Plato: 11.10
Anticipated SRM: 5.0
Anticipated IBU: 23.9
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
92.3 6.00 lbs. Briess LME- Gold America 1.035 4
7.7 0.50 lbs. Crystal 10L America 1.035 10

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Willamette Pellet 4.50 22.2 60 min.
0.50 oz. Hallertauer Pellet 3.50 1.7 10 min.

Yeast
-----
Danstar Nottingham Ale (Dry)

I agree with Yooper re: the English Pale Ale.

My first one was 3.3# hopped LME, 2# light DME, 6ozs steep Crystal 40, 1oz "Hop Pellets" I bet it was Cascade (5-15). Ale yeast. It rocked, I was hooked.

I have made it several times now. If your friend does OK on the steeping grains consider the PM version of EdWort's Haus Pale Ale. I made it three times and stepping up on the grain quantity made a huge difference. Standby for linky:

EdWort's PM Haus Pale recipe. I use a huge balloon whisk in my brew kettle, but i still find it easier to incorporate LME than DME. I think I subbed six pounds of LME for the 5 of DME, I guess my OGs in the 1.050 range are wee on the high side:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=343736&postcount=29

and

EdWort's Pm Haus Pale Hop U calcs:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=432568&postcount=120

Back