NB's Dead Ringer IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themack22

Reaction score
Dead Ringer is an homage to a benchmark of the American IPA style that’s brewed in Michigan. This kit has been a customer favorite for a decade, but this spring we had to change the name after receiving a letter from a lawyer representing the brewery.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/recipe-kits/dead-ringer-ipa-extract-kit.html

Can I assume this is a Bell's Two-Hearted clone?

I've done six beers. I finally nailed the FG on my last beer. Feeling confident. I did their Big Honkin' Stout and it came out under-attenuated. I didn't do a starter and didn't lower the fermentation temps enough (all results from inexperience).

Anyone done this one and can share some tips?

Yes, this is NB's Two Hearted clone. I haven't brewed a Two Hearted clone but I am going to be brewing one following my vacation in about 3 weeks.

I'm using a different recipe though. Adventures in Homebrewing out of Michigan has a Two Hearted clone and I figure, being from Michigan, they may have better insight to making the recipe?

Here is a link to AIHB's Two Hearted Clone: http://www.homebrewing.org/2-Hearted-Clone_p_518.html

Let me know how your NB clone turns out and I'll share my results when I get them...

I started brewing with the Dead Ringer kit a year and a half ago -- it's what got me confident that I could brew all-grain IPAs.

I now use that recipe as my goto house IPA. It's always on tap here.

One thing to note though -- it appears NB is out of Centennial hops which is the sole hop in this recipe. You may want to call and find out if they're substituting "Centennial Type" hops which are a blend of other "C" hops.

One thing to note though -- it appears NB is out of Centennial hops which is the sole hop in this recipe. You may want to call and find out if they're substituting "Centennial Type" hops which are a blend of other "C" hops.

I am sure it's en route to my house by now. Is this something to really fret about? My gf LOVES Two Hearted, and it's pretty much the only IPA she likes, so that's awesome. I really hope this can come close, then that will legitimize the money I spend on this hobby. :)

Made the extract version of the kit this winter, it was amazing! I will definitely make this one again.

Did you brew this up man? I wouldn't worry too much about the Centennial "Type" hops; though if you want it to be a true "Dead Ringer" for the original you'll want to find some centennial and actually harvest some Bell's yeast.

I am sure it's en route to my house by now. Is this something to really fret about? My gf LOVES Two Hearted, and it's pretty much the only IPA she likes, so that's awesome. I really hope this can come close, then that will legitimize the money I spend on this hobby. :)

I just brewed the 2HA again for the second time in my short career tonight... Going to keep this on tap from now on as it's a winner... It wasn't the NB kit that I brewed, it was one from my local brewery supply store, likely the same ingredients, 4 oz of Centennial throught the boil and 1oz later for the dry hop.

in any case, it's a fantastic beer and an 8/9 on a 10 scale compared to the real deal!

it's the first beer that I've been 100% happy with upon completion and I can't wait to try my next batch to compare. On the next batch I'm going to prepare Wyeast and give that a try to see how it changes...

As a total noob, this was my first extract kit last year. It's been one of my best. I just did my own all grain version but added another oz. dry hops and 5 Habaneros. It got great reviews from a tasting at our new home brew club!

Just follow directions. It will turn out great.

I followed NB's recipe but rounded of ingredients on my own, and used home grown centennial hops

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

As a total noob, this was my first extract kit last year. It's been one of my best. I just did my own all grain version but added another oz. dry hops and 5 Habaneros. It got great reviews from a tasting at our new home brew club!

Just follow directions. It will turn out great.

When did you add the hebaneros? During dry hop?

You have me wondering what I may be able to add to this for a little extra zing or pleasant flavor? Any ideas?

Was it drinkable?

5 habenero chili say 500,000 scoville units makes 2,500,000 scoville units. Capsaicin is only soluble in alcohol and not water, so depending on the amount of time steeped, and ABV%, one could assume 5-10% capsaicin yield. This would give 125,00-250,000 scoville units in the entirety of the batch. On the low end. That's quite intense.

Normally when one eats a capsicum of this magnitude the flavor of the berry doesn't come through as the spice sensation is just too intense. So did the flavor of the berry come through into the brew as well?

I am extremely curious as to the results here. I'm a chili-head as well.

Was it drinkable?

5 habenero chili say 500,000 scoville units makes 2,500,000 scoville units. Capsaicin is only soluble in alcohol and not water, so depending on the amount of time steeped, and ABV%, one could assume 5-10% capsaicin yield. This would give 125,00-250,000 scoville units in the entirety of the batch. On the low end. That's quite intense.

Normally when one eats a capsicum of this magnitude the flavor of the berry doesn't come through as the spice sensation is just too intense. So did the flavor of the berry come through into the brew as well?

I am extremely curious as to the results here. I'm a chili-head as well.

Scovilles aren't cumulative, if you add 5 at 500,000, it's still 500,000.

It's the same as if you blended two 5% abv beers, it's still 5%, not 10%.

I agree. That is to say the end product can not be above 500,00 SHU. However, as capsaicin is extractable by alcohol, this does create an environment where each pepper would have some amount extracted. I guess the real question is how much.

Back