NB Patersbeir recipie....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewskii

Reaction score
Down loaded the PDF and got all the ingredients acouple of weeks ago.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-Patersbier.pdf

Doing a 1.2 l starter for this with white labs Abby yeast. Going to hit it with diffusing stone and O2 from disposable welding bottle. This will be my first shot using the O2 rig. My plan is to hold it at 62 F for a couple days and let it free rise from there in the ambient 75deg house.

Any last min advice? Brew day starts Sunday night. Starter was pitched around 5 pm this evening.

Don't know if it will make any difference at all but I read BLAM and Stan Hyronimus (sp?) said Trappists keep there fermenters around 1/1 aspect or lower so I'm putting this in a 6.5 gal acid Carboy due to its larger diameter than the Italian glass or better bottle versions.

I'm really excited to see how this comes out but I've No IDEA how to age this. I think the yeast (WLP530) will require time to mature the flavors but it is low gravity ( w/my system it should be around 1.055)

With the lower og, I would think that it wouldn't require but a couple or three weeks to carb. I would drink it fairly quickly as I doubt it will stand up to extended time in the bottle. My understanding is that it's intended to be an "everyday" beer.

This fermented out from a 1.047 to 1.006 in ~ 7 days. Had to hook up the blow off on day 2. I bottled it today (16 days) after 3 days @ 60f; free rise to mid 70's for ~ 7 days then lagered for the remainder at 54F.
This is my first use of actual O2 and first use of this yeast but, this is the cleanest beer I think I have ever brewed. It's reminiscent of Allagash white but obviously very much lighter on the pallet and much less body.

I'm stoked. Can't wait till it carbs! FYI... Original recipie uses pilsner malt but i used pale ale cause it's what I had. So far; no regrets.

With the lower og, I would think that it wouldn't require but a couple or three weeks to carb. I would drink it fairly quickly as I doubt it will stand up to extended time in the bottle. My understanding is that it's intended to be an "everyday" beer.

I made the NB extract kit in May 2011. I drank most of it throughout that summer . However a few bottles made it through the winter. After 6 months I really enjoyed it more. For such a light beer, I ended up with some dark fruit character coming through and a lot more complexity. In the summer it was just a simply, refreshing pilsner alternative. I drank the last bottle this past May with much regret. The color was still light, so I don't think it was only oxidation character. I harvested the dregs and built that up in a starter which I then decanted and stored in 2 White Labs vials. I just finished brewing an all-grain batch today. I plan to try to ignore it for 3-4 months intentionally to let the yeast further develop the flavors this time.

This brew is around 6 weeks in the bottle after 2 weeks primary. It's really good. Refreshing and clean. I'll definitely brew this again.
I used 10#'s pale ale malt because I bought a 10# bag at the LHBS and didn't have a recipe in mind so it worked out well. The yeast flocked well and has a meaty Belgian note that is unmistakeable yet it's light and refreshing with balanced hops.
It's still getting cleaner with age but, truth be told, I've drank my way down to the last third of it or so. :drunk:

Back