NB Honey Kolsh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DerangedBrewer

Reaction score
Anyone ever brew this recipe?

It'll be my 2nd brew and I'm looking for any advice or tips that will help me out.

As with all NB recipe kits, the instructions leave a lot to be desired. What is a good fermentation temp I should shoot for. I'll be using Wyeast 1010 American Wheat and I will be attempting to do a starter, as well.

Considering our winter here this year apparently won't leave anytime soon, my basement should remain plenty cool and I'm assuming I want a cooler environment for fermentation. I thought I have read in the past that beers like this require ferment temps in the 55-60 degree range?

Thanks for any advice! :mug:

The Wyeast website says that 1010 ferments between 58-74F. If it were me I think I'd shoot for the low to mid 60s.

Anyone ever brew this recipe?
As with all NB recipe kits, the instructions leave a lot to be desired.
Thanks for any advice! :mug:

It's interesting that you should say that. I've never done their kits but I've read their instructions a lot (I get recipe ideas from them). They appear to be very good compared to most others I've seen. Have you watched the video on their site that goes through the details of how to brew the Caribou Slobber kit?

As for temperature ranges, I think they assume that most people buying their kits don't have many options for controlling fermentation temperatures, anyway. Just a guess.

I have made this kit, and it fermented fine in my basement (low 60s) during milwaukee winter. Yes this style likes the low end of ale temp ranges so you should be fine up in dem norwoods der.

Northern Brewer Kits in general are fantastic, its how I learned to brew and all i used for my first 30+ batches.

The honey Kolsch specifically: I thought the first few bottles i tried were just ok, but after it aged a few months, the honey flavor re-emerged and I liked it more.
I gave it 1 wk in primary, 1 wk in secondary, no hydrometer readings or anything. If you use a hyrdometer and give it time to finish fermenting, your batch should be even better than mine, which was still good. This one gets better with age, so hid a few bottles if u can

Great info, Texsconnie! Thanks!

I'm pretty good with my self control so far. I've been letting my Caribou Slobber sit and age. I've definitely been enjoying a few, but I can tell that age does the body good! ;)

Cheers, eh!

I brewed a modified recipe of NB's kit and used 1010 at 58* in my Michigan basement. With a starter and some oxygen it fermented out in a few days.

If you look closely at the instructions, it tells you the fermentation temp range for the yeast you pick. I've had great experience with their kits, extract or all grain.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back