NB Dead ringer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nstein3214

Reaction score
I just brewed the dead ringer from northern brewer. I put into carboy and realized there is about 3-4 inches of hops/sludge in the bottom of the carboy. Will this be ok? Should I strain before putting into secondary? Leave as is? Only my second batch ever any info is appreciated!

It'll be fine. Whatever you do don't strain, just be Careful not to pickup too much when you transfer. I.e. keep the bottom of the racking cane above the sediment. Personally I'd skip the secondary altogether.

I have not tried the extract recipe, but the all grain Ringer is my house IPA. I always have a keg of it on tap. Its delicious and my favorite IPA, even over commercial IPAs. Perfect balance.

It'll be fine. Whatever you do don't strain, just be Careful not to pickup too much when you transfer. I.e. keep the bottom of the racking cane above the sediment. Personally I'd skip the secondary altogether.

when would you add the drop hop addition? I'm curious because I just kegged a batch of this and I hate using a secondary, I would rather just put it in a keg and purge the 02 out of it and let it sit

My extract version ended up at 1.014. It tastes great by the way. Maybe a little lighter on the aroma profile than the original. But I've found that 2 hearted varies quite a bit between bottled and kegged on aroma also.

Thanks for the info. Mine has been in primary for a little over a week. Had a very vigorous first few days but still bubbling a little so I'm gonna leave it for a while still. Probably take a gravity reading after 2 weeks and see where I'm at. Can't wait for this one to be done!

Back