NB Bourbon Barrel Porter Extract Kit.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

TPC666

Reaction score
Just brewed this up last Saturday June 18. I made a starter with some Wyeast Scottish ale yeast and Fast Pitch. Actually a double batch. Pitched it when the wort had cooled and before the next morning that thing was foamy and bubbling. OG 1.062. Here we are 4 days later and no real activity in the airlock, so I opened up to take a look, foam had made almost to the lid but is now back down to level. Took a gravity reading and is said 1.022. Is that possible that fast? Tastes like freaking porter, a little fizzy even. Still have about 10 days till I go to secondary. Am I reading this thing right, is it wacky?

Attachments

• View recent photos (1).jpg
    View recent photos (1).jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 0

RM-MN

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How is this coming along? I'm interested in doing a beer like this and wonder if this is a good kit.
Of course it is a good kit but be aware that a beer with this much alcohol will take more time to mature than lighter color and lower alcohol beers. I prefer my darker beers when they have been bottled for 3 to 6 months. if your rush this beer to be drinking it, it will have much more harsh flavors.

Alphadawg

Reaction score
Its a great kit and RM-MN is correct. The longer it sits the more flavor profiles you will notice. After about 6-9 months it really comes into its own with chocolate and vanilla flavors. Go easy on the bourbon as it can overpower the beer

OP
OP
T

TPC666

Reaction score
How is this coming along? I'm interested in doing a beer like this and wonder if this is a good kit.
Bottling this week, been in secondary 4-5weeks with the oak and bourbon, tastes and smells great! Let you know in a few weeks when it is conditioned. As others have said can't wait for it to age.

OP
OP
T

TPC666

Reaction score
Final Gravity 1.016 Left in on the oak for 5 weeks or so.

ABV 6.3%

Smells just like a porter! Go figure!

Boozy whiff in the bottling bucket.

Gonna crack one Sunday the 5th, just to see. I used Fast prime for this one. ended up with just under 5 gal.

This was brewed to coincide with my son graduating his A school in the Navy.

Calling it "The Quiet Professional"

OP
OP
T

TPC666

Reaction score
Boy, I was very happy with the final product, delicious, drank 3 of the Grolsch bottles I used. Not too overpowering with bourbon or oak. balanced flavors. I hope it keeps getting better with time. Brewing an IPA next.