NB Bavarian hefewiezen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhoneycutt

Reaction score
Northern brewers instructions for they're all grain kit has two options for mashing one is a fairly simple single infusion mash at 152 for 60 then mash out for 10 minutes at 170. I brewed this and it's fairly dang decent. However I was hoping it'd be closer to a paulaner clone. The other option is what they call a traditional multistep of 20 minutes at 122, 30 minutes at 149, 30 minutes at 158, then mash out at 170 for 10. Is this multistep a multistep infusion mash or a decoction mash? I've only done two all grain batches and am obviously still learning. Neither btw were multistep or decoction mashes. Being very simple for the moment, but I'm wandering if I'd used the traditional schedule if it'd get it closer to paulaners hefe. Love that stuff.

The other option is what they call a traditional multistep of 20 minutes at 122, 30 minutes at 149, 30 minutes at 158, then mash out at 170 for 10. Is this multistep a multistep infusion mash or a decoction mash?

It sounds like a standard multi-step mash. In a decoction you would pull some of the mash out and cook it separately. Those temps they gave you look like your standard protein rest, beta, alpha, mash-out that you would achieve with the entire mash. If you can work out your infusions in something like BeerSmith then you can do it as an infusion mash.

But I'm guessing that if they give you single-infusion instructions that they probably intend the multi-step to be direct-fired from a metal mash tun. That's not to say you can't do it as an infusion, it will just be more difficult than a single infusion.

As far as taste, I'm not sure what to tell you. Is this kit intended to be a clone recipe? It could be anything from the grains, hops, your brewing process, your yeast...and I don't know the Paulaner you're drinking either. It could be imported, bottle, tap...

Paulaner hefeweizen is imported in both bottles and keg. It's wut many believe to be the standard barer of hefes and I love it. I'm not sure if it's meant as a clone to it though. Thanks for your info though.

I'm partial to Schönbuch, but all of the Paulaner I've had was in bottles. I see Austin Homebrew Supply has a clone for sale. They recommend WLP300 for their yeast. I haven't done a clone of this, but I have done quite a few wheat beers. The yeast strain and fermentation play a huge role in the flavor. Some of it also comes from the wheat you choose, but I would look at the yeast first.

Back