Natural Yeast Nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chip82

Reaction score
I am getting into making mead. I have been reading about the need for yeast nutrient. Most have been DAP and Fermaid-K. I was wondering if anyone uses a natural, read a fruit or vegetable, that someone has added to their mead to boost the FAN in the mead.

Thanks

Raisins have been popular, but honestly, ANY fruit or veg will probably have the necessary NPK. (speaking as a organic gardener here. The amount of NP you add to your brew in the form of diamonnium phosphate, and with it only being a few teaspoons per batch, it's really not a lot. Plants use the same nutritional elements in similar amounts for their own growth You toss in one peach, and you probably have more than enough nitrogen, phosphorus, etc to go beyond the amount you'll toss in as DAP in a few gallons. Another way to think about it: vegetables and fruits are SO sugary and nutrition friendly, that airborne yeast readily will ferment in on a matter of a few days. In fact, compost kinda depends upon it.)

The bigger question is what source isn't going to alter the way your brew tastes in a negative or impactful way.

I am ok will adding fruits or veggies in a minute sense to get the needed nutrients. I guess I will have to play and see what comes of it.

I have read raisins are a good source. I am hoping to keep it as natural as I can.

In The Complete Joy of Homebrewing Charlie talks about using "yeast ghosts" to supplement mead for better fermentation. My understanding is that they are empty yeast hulls and provide many (or perhaps all if I remember correctly) of the nutrients that yeast need to ferment mead. I have never made mead and am fairly new to brewing, so be sure to check out my suppositions.

Hey I know raisins or dates are used by Craig Farraway on Craigtube brewing for hooch and I use pineapple or grapes for bread yeast starters

raisins do work well, would agree highly with using that one!

I used dates in a half cup of water boiled in the microwave in my Knutson natural AJ. I just tried it after 4 weeks ,and boy is it good but sweet. It's sitting at a gravity of 1.020 and 62deg.I used Lalvin kc 1116 which is the best Lalvin yeast for fresh fruit wine or cider I have found. It's still bubblin'away.

FYI - Fermaid O isn't "organic" like that you'd get organic things at whole foods. It's just organic nitrogen as opposed to inorganic nitrogen. Yeast can use organic nitrogen as nutrient later into the ferment, where fermaid K and DAP (Both the same thing) can only be used up to the 1/3 break.

Back