natural vs forced carbonation flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simcoe26

Reaction score
Let me start by saying i made an IPA that fermented around 76-78 on the fermometer. once it was done i bottle conditioned a couple of beers from the last batch and kegged the rest. After about 3 weeks i tried both. The kegged beer was ok and had an off flavor of high ferementation. I didn't have high hopes for the bottles. I tried the bottle and it was delicious. the hop character was more pronounced and the off flavor was not there.

Does anyone have any idea why this was this way. since it was so much better i am naturally carbonating for my next batch.

What yeast strain? This doesn't sound like a carbonic acid taste. I would agrea with tagz... secondary may have cleared this up. you could always take the keg out, set it in the fermenting chamber with an airlock and add a little sugar to try to replicate the bottle conditioning.

How did you carbonate the keg? Shake?

I set the pressure and left it for the exact same time as the bottle the only difference other than co2 and sugar were the temperatures they spent those 2 weeks.

Also that you for everything you have done Bobby m. I have learned so much from u over the years

How did you carbonate the keg? Shake?

I set the pressure and left it for the exact same time as the bottle the only difference other than co2 and sugar were the temperatures they spent those 2 weeks.

Also thank you for everything you have done Bobby m. I have learned so much from u over the years

Also thank you for everything you have done Bobby m. I have learned so much from u over the years.

Yeast strain was wlp 001. The beer is gone now and the secondary fermentation was what I was thinking to but thought maybe others had experienced something like it. My biggest thing was that the hop flavor and aroma were so different

I've speculated that hoppy beers in general may go through some kind of stratification in a keg( I believe it also happens with smoked beers). When bottling, we're capturing the whole beer into small servable increments. In a keg, we're taking a small serving from the bottom of the keg. The other thing you brought up was the different storage temps. The bottled beers sat much warmer post bottling so who knows if that aided in any kind of maturation. We know that it definitely delays yeast dormancy for sure since they have to referment.

I'm stumped.

Back