Natural Keg Carbonation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ace_Club

Reaction score
Hello,

I just ordered a new kegging system from Rebel Brewer. :rockin:

Now I'm getting ready to keg my Oatmeal Stout and am going to naturally carbonate it in the keg. I know to use half the amount of priming sugar as I would for bottling, however it is unclear to me whether I have to add some CO2 to the keg (~5 psi) to maintain a good seal in the keg after it is filled.

So really, I'm wondering what everyone else who naturally carbonates their kegged beer does. Do you just add to the keg, seal and leave in the corner for two weeks, or do you top off the keg with some CO2 pressure after filling and sealing to help the top seal firmly?

Thanks, and cheers! :mug:

I force carb these days, but when I used priming sugar, I used the same amount as I would have for bottles and I purged and sealed with co2.

In the long run though it has just been easier to force carb by purging and setting the lid with co2,letting the beer age, then chill and set under serving pressure for a week to ten days.

I have some kegs that just don't seal all that well unless they get a shot of co2 to help seat the lid. So, I've primed (using 1/2 the amount usually for bottling) then gave the keg a big shot of co2 to seat the lid. I usually check for leaks around the lid and posts, and then purge and give another shot of co2 (to replace any o2 in there with co2) and put it next to kegerator for a couple of weeks.

Back