Natural Gas vs Propane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fretman124

Reaction score
I bought a new (to me) house last month. I had a gas line installed from the furnace to power the kitchen range. While doing so, I had the dude stub in a line so I can run a burner in the garage, instead of running a propane tank.

Can any of you good people give me an idea of what kind of regulator and connections I will need to hook this up?

I also have a line a three tier system. looks like I'll be going all grain soon:rockin:

You don't need a regulator for natural gas because it's already at .5 PSI. Basically you just need a gas hose and ball valve to control the flame.

I'm not recommending that you do this, but I made up a very inexpensive hose + quick disconnect setup for my garage basically with a garden hose. It's Goodyear utility hose from Lowes. Certainly not adequate for a permanent install and frequent use, but it's doing fine.

gas.jpg

I connect it, turn the gas on and brew for 2 hours, shut the gas off and roll the hose back up for storage.

This runs to a 23-tip multijet ring burner made specifically for natural gas.

Can I just add a ball valve and a quick release and get NG to my brewery from the capped off pipe pointing to the floor?

NO!

That down leg is for crap to fall into and is not to be used for an auxiliary line. Check the main line for a place or you'll have to make a 'T' somewhere.

Bobby, while it looks like that hose is a QD, I worry that KIDS may find that valve, and then you will be counting on the seal of the QD to prevent catastrophe. With mindless fingers comes the 'if it can happen. IT WILL HAPPEN' dilemma. Ya know?

Not sure that the insurance company would like that and/or pay in the event of possible trouble. You won't find that set-up on an inspected home.

I run a hot boat, and if the fuel system is not up to marine/USCG code (people like to use auto starters, and alts., carbs, push-on hose instead of hard line for fuel lines, air filters instead of flame arrestors, etc,) insurance companies can refuse to cover a loss, whether or not the said loss was CAUSED by the offending equipment.

I know, it's handy and probably will never be a problem, but knowing it could be an issue at some point is worth thinking about.

Thanks. I never thought about the kids touching it because right now my daughter does not go into the garage. I think the only reasonable solution is to remove the handle from the valve and keep it in my tool box when I'm not using the setup.
Another thing I probably should do is reverse the QD. I have the open nipple on the hard line and the female on the hose. It just happened that I had the hose-ready female fitting but I'll buy the opposite.

It's really the same kind of setup that goes to my gas grill on the deck only the ball valve is up high in the basement and I leave the (proper) flex line attached at all times.

Burner is like this one...
http://www.suitesupply.com/town-foodservice-equip.tfs-226800n.01.htm

Bobby you might consider trying to find a valve that has the ability to be locked like the valve that's probably on you gas meter. Although with a girl you are most likely pretty safe. But just to add an extra layer of safety I know I'd sleep better at night if I could lock it up.

abracadabra said:
Bobby you might consider trying to find a valve that has the ability to be locked like the valve that's probably on you gas meter. Although with a girl you are most likely pretty safe. But just to add an extra layer of safety I know I'd sleep better at night if I could lock it up.

Bobby, cool you took it right; I always worry that people will get offended by being told something they would rather not hear, but I wouldn't bother saying something if I didn't care, so I grit my teeth and TRY to be as tactful as a shop rat can.

Presto (heh); good idea on lockable valve-some ball valves are lockable for industry use-to keep sabotage or ignorance down. But kids have friends and the likelihood that the HBer's kid will be the problem is less than visiters. When family visits it is UNBELIEVABLE what crap they will do. And they tend to not be very well supervised, and feel that everything is theirs to use as a toy.

Funny you should mention that. I had a bunch of couples over and the guys were in the garage playing poker and draining my kegs and one of the little brats (escaped from the mom clan) came over and started messing with my tools (pretty close to the gas hookup in question). I think as parents, we slowly start realizing the pitfalls of the house. We always learn faster when a pile of kids come over. For example, we don't put locks on our cabinets because we took the time to teach our child not to go in them. We don't have any dangerous substances within reach, but I also wouldn't appreciate having the contents emptied onto the floor either. Every time other kids come over, the tupperware is EVERYWHERE.

As far as the kids go, if they are old enough to understand what the danger is, just explain it to them. I got into a lot of trouble as a kid, curiosity and all, but things my father told me not to play with (like guns) were not touched w/o adult supervision. Not telling them about the valve is what'll hurt them.

If you are worried about them getting at it anyways, just run the pipe along the ceiling out of reach.

I've got grandkids with no concept of 'NO', so I don't trust ANY kids with self-reliance.

Kids ain't brought up like I was, anymore. :mad: Seeing little difference between 15 year olds and 3 year olds, too. :(

We have a NG quick disconnect out on our patio. Apparently the previous owner ran his gas grill off it. But did not install a neddle valve in the line to isolate it or protect it.

Henry Hill said:
I've got grandkids with no concept of 'NO', so I don't trust ANY kids with self-reliance.

Kids ain't brought up like I was, anymore. :mad: Seeing little difference between 15 year olds and 3 year olds, too. :(

The 15 year olds are usually bigger and want more expensive stuff:)

While we're on the topic, I have a few of those NG multitip burners I'm looking to sell. I just have to verify if they're NG or propane based on the orifice size. If they're for propane, they can be converted to NG but not the other way around.

Apparently that's illegal to do here in IL, no NG anything to an outside grill/burner or whatever. Just thought I'd pass that along.

Back